It’s Not Too Late to Apologize | Teen Ink

It’s Not Too Late to Apologize

April 8, 2008
By Anonymous

As life passes by everyone meets with a conflict, which steers the ethics of the person. The conflict can be resolved when the words “I forgive you” are used at the right time, in the right place. I’ve had an argument with my parents about many things and all have ended with forgiveness. Only with forgiveness will a relationship grow strong and embrace love.

As I sat watching television at home my parents greeted me with a furious look. I, being twelve years old, had seen that look just before my brothers received a lecture and grounding. My parents turned the TV off as soon as they were settled and told me to go to my room and wait for them. My heart pounded with the fear of no television for a month, and my fingertips turned into mini icicles. Every noise amplified, including my parents talking on the phone. They walked upstairs and as they entered, something was different. They told me that it was a misunderstanding and that they believed that I had skipped school. My heart stops and all I wish for is a stroke to carry me from this moment. I shake my head furiously and get ready to defend my TV privileges, when they suddenly spurt out “We’re sorry about accusing you.” I feel light headed from all the emotions and I forgive them, not because I did, but out of reaction. At dinner that night, as we ordered our food, I express my forgiveness by writing it in ketchup on my dinner plate and sliding it into view.


My forgiveness of my parents allowed me to fully experience what it felt like to be a complete family. As I remember that day I can picture the scene clearly, me petrified with fear; my parents mortified with a false accusation, but all was resolved once the magic words “I forgive you” have been said. My parents tell me of that day frequently now and remind me of the times when we could be wrong and apologize without a thought. Now a days, adults as well as children are slow to admit their wrongs, which turn their relationships into the ground.

The forgiveness that I gave my parents that night was special because I truly accepted their apology, even if I had already said it before. Countless times, people go through their lives without experiencing true sorrow or regret. It makes me think of how the world will be thirty years from now, with broken families and friendships.