Enough Poetry | Teen Ink

Enough Poetry

I’m tired of hearing the same thing over and over. Ladies and gentleman, stereotyping and judging are bad. That guy sees too much stereotyping and can’t do anything about it. That girl gets judged too much and can’t do anything about it. You know what? Everyone will get judged at some point in their life, and they write poems about it everyday. That’s why I’m writing this essay on something different. The world has seen enough pain poems.

First of all, this may be a stereotype, but I don’t believe anyone in school is experiencing true pain. Yes, emotions can hurt; I’ve been there. Yet here’s what we take for granted: we’re in school. Do you know how many people aren’t? Quite a few. Those same people fight for food everyday to prevent starvation. Starvation. That’s a word we throw around everyday, but has anyone ever really experienced it? So remember this: you may be judged, and you may not like it, but you have a life and a chance. There are people who would trade your life for theirs’ in a heartbeat, and they won’t get that chance.

What about those whom Adolf Hitler deemed “lesser?” They were taken from their homes, thrown into concentration camps, and starved in their own countries. Do you see those admirable survivors complaining today?

So what? Alright, look at it this way: people see you. They know you exist. That means there are other people out there that are going to notice you. Future friends. Future bosses.

So stop writing your problems down and do something about it. It doesn’t have to be right now. Keep it simple. Go to college, find a career you’re happy with, and be the best you can with what you’ve got. I know that’s thrown around a lot, but it’s true. Don’t throw your life away on paper. Yes, you will get judged, and that will slow you down, but now you know it’s coming.