Stand Up | Teen Ink

Stand Up

September 21, 2014
By Zero GOLD, Langley, Washington
Zero GOLD, Langley, Washington
10 articles 0 photos 13 comments

The wind whisps through my hair as I stand towering above the icy darkness below.There is no reason to continue, no way I can continue. Continue hiding who I truly am from my family, my friends I would once have thought of as close. Honestly, they don't know me. 

 

I appear to this world as a happy go lucky, perfect, straight A, innocent teenage girl but I'm not. We appear to the world as we want to appear. Faking a perfect world is something I've grown up mastering. 

 

No one in this world can see you for who you are unless you let them. Building up the walls around your life make it so no one can get in and see how truly messed up life can be. No one can see those memories of a drunken father returning home from the bar or see the cops show up to your residence after your father threw several glass bottles and started messing with the family car so no one could leave. 

 

I wish I could run away to somewhere I can go to and lay down and watch as the stars go by. A place where there are no social pressures to hold up to a certain standard. A place where family members can't tell you what you can and cannot wear. That place is my heaven. That place would be my perfect world. 

 

Now that darkness I stood above before, that darkness many must have assumed was referring to icy waters beneath a bridge. Or at least that's what I first thought when I wrote it...

 

It is not a watery depth as I've come to realize but it is in fact the distractions, the irrational drama, the stupid arguments, the times of sorrow and loss, the gossip, the family issues, the drugs, the alcohol, the hurtful words and bullies on social media sites that all work together to bring you down. These things take away from your own thoughts, opions, beliefs, and they hurt you. 

 

Stand up for yourself and realize your true potential, realize that it's okay for others to not understand you because if they understood you that would make life too easy and an easy life is not an exciting life.

 

Realize you don't need to follow cultural trends or follow what your peers are doing to fit in. It's okay to stand up for yourself, to voice your opinion. Stand up and be yourself and don't let anything drag you down. It is okay to not have those around you understand where you come from or what your past is. If they don't try to get to know you and understand where your coming from it's their loss.

 

So don't fake it and be something you're not. Be yourself and take a stand. I'm sick of acting, aren't you?


The author's comments:

Wrote this in the heat of the moment, I apologize for any confusion but I wanted to feel as if my voice may somehow be heard. Thank you for reading, please comment and/or rate!