I Think It's Sad. | Teen Ink

I Think It's Sad.

December 23, 2014
By Emma.H.96 DIAMOND, Kalamazoo, Michigan
Emma.H.96 DIAMOND, Kalamazoo, Michigan
65 articles 0 photos 67 comments

Favorite Quote:
You own everything that happened to you. Tell your stories. If people wanted you to write warmly about them, they should've behaved better. -Anne Lamott, from Bird by Bird: Some Instructions on Writing and Life.


I think it's sad young girls know that it's easier and safer to give a guy a fake number than turn him down. I think it's sad that I have grown up in the mindset that if I'm walking alone near a group of males or even a single male I should pretend to be on the phone in order to avoid being harassed. I think it's sad that girls can't walk down the street without cars honking at them and guys catcalling and yelling disrespectful things. I think it's sad that if a girl dresses nicely or does her makeup and hair her chances of these things happening to her automatically increase. I think it's sad that if I ask a guy why they hit on me in such a disrespectful way I am now the rude one; I am a b****. I think it's sad that there are over two hundred words for a female who is called a "sl*t" but there are only twenty two words for a male "sl*t." I think it's sad that feminism has become a diseased word and that the connotations for it are lesbian, b****, and man-hater. I think it's sad that because I am female I am considered to be born a victim of sexual harassment, street harassment, and unwanted attention and after eighteen years nothing has changed this status. I think it's sad that the way people dress gives off a level of how much attention they want to receive. I think it's sad that men dominate almost every industry, including fashion, and the fact that if I dress in style I am trying to receive male attention. I think it's sad that if I dress out of style I am obviously, to the social norm, going to end up alone with seven cats. I think it's sad that if I go to the gym it's assumed I am either going there to meet guys or to better my body in order to make guys want me. I think it's sad that if a male is noticeably more muscular or larger than I am, I am almost ten times more afraid that he will physically abuse me. I think it's sad that if a male tries to talk to me while we are alone I slowly reach for the mace I carry on my person at all times. I think it's sad that a singular female walking down a dark street in front of a group of males is a rape scene while a male walking down a dark street in front of a group of females is a neutral statement. I think it's sad that females are referred to as "b****es," "h*es," "wh*res," and other horrible names in lyrics but the number of bad names men are called in songs is drastically decreased. I think it's sad that there are still jokes about women being attached to the kitchen while there is no place for a man to be attached to other than anywhere he wants to be. I think it's sad that love songs have to do with a male having ownership over a woman. I think it's sad that love songs have to do with putting a woman down or in her place before saying a man will still love her regardless. I think it's sad that if a girl is over a size six she is considered full figured but men are accepted because they're born the way they are. I think it's sad that when I was going through puberty I prayed to be pretty; not smart, not talented, not a good person, but pretty. Most importantly, I think it's sad that I'm writing this, spoken out of pure experience, spoken with anger, and knowing that in my lifetime, most of these things aren't going to change.