What Do We Owe Each Other? | Teen Ink

What Do We Owe Each Other?

December 15, 2018
By sophiedancer37 BRONZE, Boulder, Colorado
sophiedancer37 BRONZE, Boulder, Colorado
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Hello All,

My Name is Rosa Louise McCauley Parks, and on October 24, 2005 at age 92, my impactful life came to an end. Throughout my years, I have fought for equality and civil rights, and now here I am, asking myself the question, “What do we owe each other?”.

I am known for ‘starting’ the civil rights movement, but that is because I was fighting for equality for myself and others in our society. I believe we owe to each other to abide by civil rights. The civil rights are the rights of citizens to political and social freedom and equality.

In my experience, I have fought for my rights, and am most known for the Montgomery Bus Boycott. Between December 5, 2955 and December 20, 1956, all of the African Americans and I should be placed after Americans refused to ride the bus, after I was arrested for not giving up my seat to a white man. Since then, I fought for civil rights.

I believe that in our society, we owe to each other to follow and respect the civil rights. In my time, segregation was a huge issue, and I felt the need to fight for my rights, that should be respected in the first place. I am no different than any other. My skin is my appearance, not my personality. If we treat everybody equal, things such as this would not happen. If I was able to sit leisurely on the bus, I would not have made history. But due to segregation, I impacted US History forever. Throughout my long lived life, I was determined to end segregation in our societies, yet my time came to say goodbye. Now it is up to all of you to abide by my one wish. What we owe each other.


The author's comments:

I wrote an Obituary on Rosa Parks