Aristotle Grande? 7 Rings and Its Philosophical Echoes of Robert Louis Stevenson | Teen Ink

Aristotle Grande? 7 Rings and Its Philosophical Echoes of Robert Louis Stevenson

By WellsWoolcott SILVER, East Hampton, New York
WellsWoolcott SILVER, East Hampton, New York

“We do not love life in the sense that we are greatly preoccupied with its conservation; that we do not, properly speaking, love life at all, but living”

Robert Louis Stevenson (Aes Triplex, Page 48)

In his prime, Robert Louis Stevenson was most renowned for his widely consumed adventure novels such as Treasure Island and The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. However, posthumously he has also become respected for his work in philosophy, specifically his essay Aes Triplex in which he discusses human nature towards life and death and how it interacts with the practices of civilization and contemporary philosophical discussion. As reflected in the excerpt above, one key argument that Stevenson makes in this essay is that it is not human nature to be basing decisions first and foremost on what will prevent death or extend one's lifespan. Instead, he claims, it is inherent in us all to make decisions that will most readily gear us in the direction of short-term happiness. This is a theme that can be found in everyday life but is also reflected in various texts - both antique and modern. One such text is the lyrics of 7 rings - the third single from the Ariana Grande’s upcoming album Thank U, Next. Within this song,  Grande draws upon an experience where her and 6 friends 7 matching diamond rings in the midst of her breakup with her ex-fiancé Pete Davidson. The lyrics and imagery for the piece both make clear her emphasis on the joy that can be found in material wealth and sharing it with loved ones.

7 Rings by Ariana Grande parallels the above excerpt from Aes Triplex by Robert Louis Stevenson in a number of ways. First of all, it is clear that Grande shares Stevesnson’s belief that human nature is geared towards short term happiness and not conservation of life - a nature that she thoroughly indulges. This becomes evident when she sings “Breakfast at Tiffany’s and bottles of bubbles, girls with tattoos who like getting in trouble” and then the lyric “Lashes and diamonds, ATM Machines, buy myself all of my favorite things.” Collectively, these two excerpts from 7 Rings hammer home the idea proposed by Stevenson that temporary pleasures reign supreme over calculated, long-term decisions, as the former expresses her enjoyment of risk-taking behavior (i.e. the consumption of alcohol) while the latter reflects her love for material expenditure. While this may be enough of a thematic parallel on its own, when 7 Rings is placed in the context of Grande’s her experience with death, a further connection to Aes Triplex is revealed. In early 2018, Grande suffered the loss of her ex-boyfriend Mac Miller to suicide - a death that she was blamed for by many. If one looks further back, they will also recall the tragic terrorist attack at her Manchester concert in May of 2017, where 23 people died, and hundreds more were injured. Grande has addressed both of these instances publicly and explained that her mental health had suffered significantly as a result. Thus it would make sense that her most recent discography would reflect the close contact with mortality she has experienced, however, 7 Rings does not fit this description. In fact, within the piece Grande sing’s “Been through some sad shit, I should be a sad b****. Who would’ve thought it turned me to a savage?”. This is a prime example of Stevenson’s idea that it is not human nature to continually reflect on death, but instead to focus on the joy of living. Clearly, 7 Rings is not only a commercial and emotional triumph for Grande but a cultural landmark that echoes the philosophical strains of a work published more than a century ago.