The Wall of Streotypes | Teen Ink

The Wall of Streotypes

February 11, 2019
By KhanhDang123 BRONZE, Houston, Texas
KhanhDang123 BRONZE, Houston, Texas
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
Only I can change my life. No one could do it for me.
-Carol Burnett-


A team of neuroscientists from MIT has found that the human brain can process an entire image as little as thirteen milliseconds. This means you have approximately seven seconds to make a first impression. Seven seconds. That how long it takes for us to construct a narrative for the stranger we hardly knew. We take the time to choose which outfits are we going to put on, what TV show do we want to watch. However, when it comes to attempting to understand other people story, we are quick to make assumptions. In this book of "The Go-Between" Veronica Chambers reflect on our judgemental society that is quick to jump to a conclusion through the adoption of stereotypes.   


 Every day, we are constantly subconsciously judging the people we meet based on the conventional images that society has placed on a particular group of minority. Chamber reveal the use of stereotypes by creating a realistic plot and characters that the reader can connect to their real life. However, the author does not convey stereotypes through the first person. Chamber utilize the dialogue between character to expose the label society place on the immigrant. "Did you ever work as a drug mule ?" (Page 91)  The way Tiggy casually ask Cammi this question demonstrated how criminal is our default for immigrants. Although accidental, both Tiggy and Willow jumped into judgment without knowing Cami's side of the narrative.

" Her mother was a maid, and she is on scholarship"  (Page 92) They fall for the sociological cliché that Mexican immigrants are the lower class worker. Despite all of their insulting remarks, Tiggy and Willow are not racist; they are just merely misguided by their belief in stereotypes.


 We unintentionally fall for stereotypes because our society generates a universal belief in a group of a minority to fill in our gap of knowledge.  Misinformation and Ignorance is the root of stereotypes.

A stereotype can be negative or positive, but even positive stereotypes present two problems: They are cliché, and they presented a human being as far more simple and uniform that any human being actually is.  This makes us unable to understand and accept other people differences

" How about tomorrow you try not to pour so much b**** juice into your morning tequila? " Tiggy and Willows were unable to look past the stereotypes which build up tension in their friendship with Cammi. As the misleading information strengthen, a quarrel among the friends finally broke out. This is one of the countless models of how an assumption can be done great harm to a relationship. "When we don't examine our assumptions, then we can do serious harm to each other and our culture."   (Page 161). Through Cammi lesson, we can determine the central theme of the book that ties with our social problem; assumptions let us unable to accepted and understand each other which result in conflicts later.


 Consequently, stereotypes create a wall that let us incapable of perceiving the truth that lays on the other side of the wall. We have to walk through them, tearing down the label that was given to us. " I caught their perception and tossed it back to them" ( Page 97). In the beginning, Cammi has trouble navigating her way through the stereotypes that people give her at first impression, and as a result, she fell for stranger generalization. Cammi has played the role of society intended for her people-poor immigrant. Milly was quick to realize Cammi identity, and despite her hostile relations, she played a significant role in the story, especially in Cammi's character development. "Instead of doing something to lifts Latinos up, you make being poor and vulnerable into your little psychodrama."  ( Page 157). Milly was Cammi wake-up call by helping her realize that she can change a lot of people perspective on Latinos. Cammi has the potential to sway people ideas of immigrants as long as she does not live up to the stereotypes. Through Milly dialogue, Chambers is trying to the reader an insight into the reality of living under the stereotypes, moreover demonstrate that all of us can make a difference.


 In the beginning, Cammi has navigated through her new life as an immigrant, dealing with assumptions and stereotypes from the people around her. Through looking from the Cammi perspective, we learn that the wall of stereotypes left many of us incapable of gaining new insight into people who are not our own kind. When we make an assumption, we are judging people based a faulty guess that could potentially be taken away our chances of forming a relationship. Veronica Chambers intention was clear while writing " The Go-Between." Don't make the assumption, find the courage to ask questions and to express what you really want. Communicate with others as clearly as you can to avoid misconstruction, sorrow, and drama. You can add a new perspective into your life by simply trying understanding other people's stories


The author's comments:

I choose to read this book becasue it very releveant to our political issue regarding of the topics of imigration