Morphology Based Taxonomy: A Scientific Blunder | Teen Ink

Morphology Based Taxonomy: A Scientific Blunder

By Just_J BRONZE, A City, Tennessee
Just_J BRONZE, A City, Tennessee

"The"
- William Shakespeare

Science is hard. The countless things discovered and utilized through science has given its scientists a lot of work. Ergo, scientists take shortcuts; they get lazy and that's understandable. For instance, on a calculator, the root button (√) is at the default root of two. However, a cubed root has a three at the top of it (³√). Now, this is because the square root is much more common so scientists use this shortcut. Another example, VHF, the electromagnetic waves from 30 to 300 megahertz, or very high frequency. That's all it is. Scientists take shortcuts and usually they're harmless like VHF but sometimes there are some unforeseen technicalities.

Within this margin is taxonomy or the science of classifying organisms, there are definitely some flaws in the way some are classified. Specifically, mammals who are classified on a morphology-based system. Organisms are determined as mammals based on several criteria, the major part of it being morphology or the form of things. These classifications that define the class Mammalia roughly consist of: having fur, having flesh, producing milk. Humans have fur, flesh and produce milk. Rats have fur, flesh and produce milk. Whales have tiny hairs that they lose after being born as well as have flesh and produce milk.

With these characteristics listed, a flaw can be identified through these physical features. So what flaw could be found in identifying mammals based on them having fur, milk, and meat?

Coconuts

Based on these classifications, the coconut is a mammal. Coconuts have shaggy fur, coconuts produce milk, and coconuts have meat.

Ergo, the coconut is a mammal.

Hi I'm Jason

I enjoy zoology and the scientific method and I wrote a satirical piece on the understandable shortcuts scientists take and the technicalities they lead to.

(The conclusion I led to is, in fact, not true and has definitely been disproven.)