Thinking in the Classroom | Teen Ink

Thinking in the Classroom

October 28, 2019
By Anonymous

I’m just thinking,not about the subject. I’m all the way at the end of the classroom. They call me a good kid yet half the time I’m not doing anything. I’m staring at the teacher waiting for the bell to ring. 11:32 PM. That’s just about 15 minutes towards lunch. The teacher stopped talking, everyone looked at me as if I was supposed to do something. I just kept staring and staring, not knowing. They all laughed, I let out a slight laugh to go with the mood, act like I’m there. They just kept staring, was there something I was missing out on?  The air was compact. My table group looked at me dead in the eye.I finally realized, I was called on. I said something that was somewhat related to the subject and the teacher said, “Not quite there. Can someone else help him?” I was safe from the wrath known as not knowing the answer. I got lucky, next time I might actually pay attention. Maybe not, this worked just fine. 14 minutes before the bell rings.


The author's comments:

In this setpiece I tried to use point of view. I used this device to tell people what one person interperets,compared to what  other people may be thinking about the situation. For example, the only person who would be thinking about the time would be the narrator, while everyone else is listening to the teacher.