A change for teens to evade Human Trafficking | Teen Ink

A change for teens to evade Human Trafficking

January 26, 2020
By olisterss BRONZE, Jkt, Other
olisterss BRONZE, Jkt, Other
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Human trafficking is going on all around us. This topic is darkish, unforgettable and depressing. Yet it’s critical for us teens to apprehend and take action toward human trafficking.


But don’t worry if you are not aware of human trafficking issues. I myself being a 15-year-old had also been unaware about human trafficking. My interest started to grew when I came across human trafficking issues from a movie called ‘Traffickers’ or its literal title ‘Conspirators’. This movie made me realize of teenagers who is unaware on the serious issue of human trafficking can get deeply affected by the consequences. Why? Cause I had noticed on how important it is for all of us to understand how serious the scenario might be if it happens to be a real-life situation. We will not know what may happen right now, but people around us might have to experience similar situations as such like the movies.


According to UNDOC, nearly 20% of trafficking victims are teenagers worldwide. In short human trafficking is a pressured criminal activity. It involves more than just sexual exploitation as it often also includes the trading of humans for the purpose of forced labour, marriage, extraction of organs, child abuse and many more. The victims are positioned through excessive psychological intimidation from force threatening acts. Traffickers motives in doing so is to obtain more labour or commercial sex act.


According to the international labour organization, more than 40.3 million people are estimated as victims worldwide. At least 10% of the victims can be reduced if they knew about human trafficking beforehand.


Indonesian law set by President of The Republic of Indonesia has strictly decided on the ‘Act No. 21 of 2007, on the ‘Law on The Eradication of The Criminal Act of Trafficking in Persons’. “Anyone who recruits, transports, threaten through force, fraud or abuse shall be punishable by a prison sentence of a minimum period of 3 years and a maximum of 15 years and a fine amounting to a minimum of Rp120,000,000.00 ($8769,18 USD) and a maximum of Rp600,000,000.00 ($43845,92 USD)”


Ways to recognizing the signs of human trafficking:
Recognizing the signs and symptoms of human trafficking is the first step to figuring out a victim. If you see something that appears suspicious, do not at any time try to confront a suspected trafficker or alert a victim of your suspicions. For your safety, and that of the victim, contact the police as soon as possible.


You should Always be vigilant and aware of your surroundings, make sure that you’re aware of what’s going on around you so that you can spot when something is off. Being ready for any situation is needed. Try to not walk alone in the streets. Also stay in contact with friends and family if you’re out and about alone or with someone you don’t know very well.
Make sure to share any unnormal activities you faced to others. This way not only you but others are also aware on what is happening. In order to share and spread awareness to others we can take action by encouraging one another to help and share this article around and get to their feedbacks.


The scenario does not always take place in a dark situation, but in the most not obvious manner. It could be something small that just doesn’t fell right. Either way, noticing these small acts can benefit you to escape and help others to get away from this situation.
It’s a chance to learn how to identify the signs of trafficking in their community and how to avoid becoming a victim. With our knowledge about the topic we can avoid human trafficking.

Some cases involving human trafficking in Indonesia:


1st case; 40 Indonesian citizens are allegedly fallen victim to human trafficking in Taiwan.
40 Indonesian are promised to grant scholarships abroad while working in Taiwan, as the victims travelled to Taiwan, after 18 months two victims allegedly spoke up after not receiving what they were promised, the victims are prone to work from Monday- Saturday at an iron shelf production factory, while Sunday they attend Taiwanese language classes.


2nd case; trafficked 1200 Indonesians workers to Syria, Morocco
National policies’ criminal investigation body announced that 4 human trafficking networks sent an estimated 12000 Indonesians to work in Syria, Turkey, Morocco and Saudi Arabia. The migrants of Indonesians workers have said that they had been abused and slaved. Including violence, rape and unpaid salary.


3rd case; Jakarta geared up to curb violence against women and children
The agreement is made from the face of increasing number of reported cases in which violence against women and children. According to Jakarta integrated care centre, for the empowerment of women and children (P2TP2A) recorded 162 cases in November only, and in total 1672 cases since January.


The author's comments:

{for further exploration about the human trafficking laws in Indonesia go through warnathgroup.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/Indonesia-TIP-Law-2007.pdf }

want know more about the three articles? here are these articles from:

• Keeling, James. “Human Trafficking: The Importance of Public Awareness.” NOC,23 Oct. 2014, natoassociation.ca/human-trafficking-the-importance-of-public-awareness/.
• “Federal Government Efforts to Combat Huma Trafficking.” ACF, www.acf.hhs.gov/otip/resources/federal-efforts.
• “The Victims. “National Human Trafficking Hotline, 23 Apr. 2018, humantraffickinghotline.org/what-human-trafficking/human-trafficking/victims.