The Importance and Symbolism of The Tomb of the Unknown Soldier | Teen Ink

The Importance and Symbolism of The Tomb of the Unknown Soldier

January 28, 2020
By WallflowerForTheGays PLATINUM, Pasadena, California
WallflowerForTheGays PLATINUM, Pasadena, California
21 articles 0 photos 4 comments

Favorite Quote:
"You can never have Everest if you don't have a valley."
- Eric Scott Gould


The Tomb of the Unknown Soldier symbolizes those in America who gave their lives in World War I, World War II,  the Korean War, and in the Vietnam War in defense of the United States’ integrity, honor, and tranquility. It is a potent symbol of the ultimate sacrifice made by those who can never be returned to their loved ones, who perhaps can never be laid to rest, and who gave not only their lives but their names for their country. The Tomb of the Unknown Soldier is the poignant reminder that by losing their identity, they have now risen above it. The unknown soldier becomes every soldier. The Tomb of the Unknown Soldier is a constant reminder that there will always be soldiers willing to give everything up to pay the ultimate sacrifice to their country.

The story of the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier is a love story — the love we hold in our hearts for the men and women of our Armed Forces who have sacrificed everything to protect our nation. We venerate the Unknowns not merely as representatives of the unknown dead from four wars but as heroes who embody the courage and sacrifice of all our war dead, from Lexington and Concord to Iraq and Afghanistan. As President Reagan said when the Unknown lay in state, “This American hero may not need us, but surely we need him.” 

That love is why the Vietnam crypt now reads, “HONORING AND KEEPING FAITH WITH AMERICA’S MISSING SERVICEMEN, 1958–1975.”  That love is the reason U.S. Air Force 1st Lt Michael Blassie, the only Vietnam Unkown, was identified and laid to rest in his home state of Missouri. That love is why the Sentinels keep a framed rubbing of Blassie’s headstone in their quarters at Jefferson Barracks. Our bottomless love for America’s fallen heroes is why we have committed to guarding the tomb for almost 100 years.


The author's comments:

This paper started with the opportunity to lay a wreath with three of my classmates on the annual DC/NYC 7th/8th grade trip. The requirement to be chosen was you had to write a minimum 300-word essay about the importance and symbolism of the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. My brother then suggested I submit it where it could be published and I thought of TeenInk. This is most likely one of the best essays/articles that I have written.