Poetry Analysis "Zen Sonnet" | Teen Ink

Poetry Analysis "Zen Sonnet"

By eshap GOLD, San Ramon, California
eshap GOLD, San Ramon, California

In “Zen Sonnet”, poet Elizabeth Spires uses disordered rhyme and form, along with repetition and caesura, to show how one does not always need to maintain a calm state of mind and breaking free from the norms of society can still aid in one’s success. 

The poet utilizes seven couplets rather than the traditional sonnet form of three quatrains and one couplet, in addition to repetition and caesura, in order to emphasize the idea that going against tradition can still lead to success. In only using couplets, the poet serves to strengthen the idea that success is achievable without sticking to the norm, by exploring different thoughts in each couplet and ending them on a clear note. Furthermore, it makes the pace of the poem faster and more memorable. The poet also uses repetition of the word “Zen” in the first two couplets to emphasize how calmness equates to living by the rules as this repetition is the only constant in the poem. However, this tranquility and consistency is contrasted with the disorganized sonnet form, which represents the disillusionment of following rules. The poet uses caesura in “thoughts that were not Zen: how I know too much too little”, and in creating a break after the word Zen, the poet highlights the speaker’s disconnect towards peacefully following the norm. Moreover, this word is not repeated after the third line and the sonnet continues with the speaker claiming anyone can “do anything”, which furthers the idea that breaking free from the norms of society can still contribute to one’s success. 

The poet also uses a disordered rhyme scheme to show how breaking the boundaries of tradition can still create success in one’s life. As the speaker states “I was thinking thoughts that were not Zen”, the disorder in rhyme scheme mirrors the speaker’s break from their zen thoughts. Yet the poem is still in its sonnet form and the speaker is still actively thinking, which demonstrates how breaking from the norm is not damaging. In the final two sentences the words “little” and “sandals” are slant rhymes and suggest that a new kind of order and peace can be created from going against tradition. Furthermore, in the final sentence, the poet does not use commas to separate “straw hats grass sandals”. In having this be the final couplet, the poet suggests that one does not have to adhere to the rigid rules in society and they can utilize their freedom to “wander” through life instead. Additionally, the poet emphasizes that the speaker has come to the conclusion that they can succeed despite not always being calm and following the rules and encourages others to avoid hesitation and break free from the norms of society.

Through the sonnet’s disordered rhyme and form, and use of repetition and caesura, the poet shows how one does not always need to maintain a calm state of mind and breaking free from the norms of society can still aid in one’s success. 

The poet utilizes seven couplets rather than the traditional sonnet form of three quatrains and one couplet, in addition to repetition and caesura, in order to emphasize the idea that going against tradition can still lead to success.