What is Trust? | Teen Ink

What is Trust?

December 8, 2021
By Agup BRONZE, Phoenix, Arizona
Agup BRONZE, Phoenix, Arizona
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

The key in believing in someone or something is really crucial. How is this feeling of belief described? What does it mean? In simple terms, the term to describe this action is trust. Trust, according to the Merriam Webster dictionary, means “assured reliance on the character, ability, strength, or truth of someone or something.” Trust is one of the most important factors of everyone’s life. 

Trust depends on your placement of confidence in a person. It is something that is developed more and more over the years instead of something completely instantaneous. There are many people in the world you need to place your trust in, for you to have a successful life. These people include your parents, friends, classmates, teachers, and doctors. However, why exactly do we need to place our trust in them? Parents are said to be our first teachers, our first friend, our first love, and much more. They are therefore the key people to believe in because they are our most important guidance which we have, they are our pathway to grow in life. Talking about parents being our friends, as we start going to school we make new friends, ones who are our age. Friends understand most of the situations we are going through as they are going through the same thing. We put our trust in them because we know that they will be there to support us no matter what type of situation it is. Another group of people who we need to believe in are our classmates. But the question comes, why classmates? Classmates also try to support us, though it’s mainly for education purposes, we still have to rely on them. For example, if we are doing a group project, one has to assure themselves that all of their group members are there to help each other, not ruin the project. Relating to classmates, teachers also play a huge role in the importance of trust. One needs to count on their teachers to educate them with the right information as it is one of the essential things in life, and something required in order to pass. Similarly, one should always have certainty in their doctors, because they are the ones who give us medication that saves us from life and death situations. The government stands as one the most vital parts of a civilization. But how does this government stay standing for such a long time? This is because we allow it to stand. We trust the government that it will rule us properly, and on our behalf will communicate with other nations. For example, when one of the government representatives makes an unfair rule, we generally try not to vote for them again, as they have broken our trust and made us do something that we were not in favor of. Trust is a cure to a person’s uncertainty. 

Trust also acts as a factor that the others will not hide anything from us either. When we tell someone our secret, they listen to us, they  understand us, and we count on them to not tell others. But can those people have the same hope in us? Just as we try to find some specific qualities in a person, the other person also tries to find those qualities in us, the quality of reliance. To be sure of that, they also tell us their secrets, and even though one can never be sure that their friends are telling them the entire truth, no friend should be suspicious of each other.  

Now, when two people build a relationship, they confide in them to be loyal to each other. This loyalty mainly involves coming clean to each other. However, at some point in the relationship, one starts cheating which is essentially lying. Lying can be about anything, like having a crush on someone else or dating someone else. This might make the other person start to grow more suspicious, and then snooping around. When both of the people find out the wrongdoings the other is doing, it ends up having a really negative effect on the relationship. It’s nothing more than a really bad heart attack. So, the way to keep building your trust in a relationship is by keeping communication with each other, and admitting your mistakes. 

Trust impacts one’s life a lot. Without trust, one can essentially become lonely as they don’t have anyone to believe in. Everything for them becomes doubtful. Trust is impacted by your past, and impacts your incoming future. If you lose it from someone, things start to decline just like a civilization falls due to any error.