Uphill Battles Lead to the Introduction of EEiP and SIP | Teen Ink

Uphill Battles Lead to the Introduction of EEiP and SIP

By NATASHAKARJALA BRONZE, Seattle, Washington
NATASHAKARJALA BRONZE, Seattle, Washington

Take an oath. Make a promise. Declare a commitment. You will refrain from being the same person month on month and take imperial steps each day to become your next infinite version.
Hiral Nagda

EEiP’s Roots

STEM in the Philippines (SIP) began as an organization dedicated to bringing opportunities of STEM to areas of education in the Philippines. The organization's roots began at STEM for Science, Technology, Engineering and Math were areas of study in which this passion for service was strongly felt. As SIP’s hours upon hours of research and study on our curriculum took place, I realized that the Philippines was in so much more need than just the opportunities of more STEM-based learning. The Philippines was in desperate need of reaching any sort of attainable quality education regardless of the economic status held by the student.

CNN Philippines writes, “Among the 13 indicators, educational attainment had the highest incidence of deprivation among families in 2016 and 2017 at 59.3 percent and 49.4 percent. These mean that six in ten families in 2016 and five in ten families in 2017 lacked access to basic education.” The statistics regarding this attainable education are appalling and truly heartbreaking. Education is a right, but due to low government budget funding for education, the content of the curriculum, inadequate equipment, and multifarious other shortages and poor qualities, it is seen as a privilege.

Information on the Universal Access to Quality Tertiary Education Act states, “The Universal Access to Quality Tertiary Education Act, officially designated as Republic Act 10931, is a Philippine law that institutionalizes free tuition and exemption from other fees in state universities and colleges (SUCs), local universities and colleges (LUCs) in the Philippines.” Though this act sought to promote access to education, quality education in the Philippines seems to still be financially-capacity based making this education unaffordable and unattainable for several Filipino students and families.

The power of Education is limitless. Everyone, regardless of their race, gender, age, religion, and economic status should have this opportunity of receiving a quality education. When deprivation of this education falls upon students and families, advocating and creating change is necessary. The journey will not be easy, but nothing worthwhile comes easy.

EEiP, ‘Empower Education in the Philippines’, is an active advocate in the advancement of education in the Philippines and works to create opportunities for attainable quality education for all students in the Philippines.

EEiP’s ‘Education for All’ Protection Program

The ‘Education for All’ Protection Program, or otherwise called ‘E4A’ will strongly advocate for the proper funding of education in the Philippines. This funding benefits educators, students, parents, families, communities, and the entirety of the institution of education in the Philippines.

USAID writes, “More than 27.7 million Filipino children and youth are at risk of significant learning loss due to extended school closures and disruptions during the pandemic. Students in early grades are particularly vulnerable to learning loss because they need significant support from their parents, teachers, and caregivers. This is also a critical stage in young children’s education as they develop literacy, numeracy, and social-emotional skills, which are foundations for lifelong learning.” Covid-19 as we know it has greatly affected students of all ages globally. The transition to distance learning, especially for children in the Philippines has been extremely challenging, especially for children who do not have access or have limited access to technology preventing distance learning entirely. The virus has also put SIP’s in-person travels into the Philippines on hold at this time, but EEiP works as the solution.

EEiP will create a database surrounding those who deal with assistance in funding to the Philippines in the United States. This advocacy deals with providing adequate education for all Filipino children. Several groups have been created in the Philippines regarding their hopes on accessible education, but EEiP works in the United States of America to advocate for Filipino students. EEiP will work to create possible implementations addressing the Philippines low-government budget on education. EEiP will gather target beneficiaries, representatives, and other education advocates to work towards any generation of funding and other alternative ways of creating this more accessible quality education.

At EEiP’s home in Seattle, Washington, several research papers, argumentative advocacy papers, and polls are being written and progressing to the point of public reach in regards to the inadequacies in education in the Philippines. EEiP is gathering information for officials in our state government who advocate for education reforms, have a say in public education, and eventually, hope to bring our case to the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID).

The greatest benefit of EEiP’s efforts is that everything can be done over the internet on apps like Zoom, Google Meets, and various other social media and communication platforms. We care about the health and safety of all those who help and receive our efforts and believe distance-events are best at this time. EEiP’s efforts require no immediate travel to the Philippines meaning that our work has already begun.

Our Efforts at Home

EEiP’s efforts at home have only just begun. Our winter drive collecting used materials like calculators, rulers, pens and pencils, and several other school supplies to send to schools in Porac, Pampanga is soon approaching. EEiP and SIP will host many other drives in regards to sending over useful materials for STEM learning. We also have been participating in our school's Asian-Pacific-Islander events to appreciate Filipino culture and share awareness.

EEiP also takes into consideration the depreciating appreciation for educators in the Philippines. EEiP will write letters to educators all over the Philippines thanking them for their time and efforts in schools. EEiP will also reach out to schools in Porac, Pampanga to find who requires what materials to organize further drives and collections.

EEiP is currently creating as many possible events and efforts at home before SIP’s in-person teaching to the Philippines partakes. SIP is also working on fundraising efforts and any volunteer participation in activities at home.

So Much More Than Service

The Philippines is my second home. My mother was born in Porac, Pampanga and the majority of my family still resides there. The connection I have in my heart to this place is undying. EEiP and SIP’s efforts are so much more than service. So genuinely do I care about the students like myself in the Philippines. Seeing firsthand the schools and areas of education in the Philippines, I know I can create change to better the lives of students in school. This process was never meant to be easy, but always, we knew it would be worth it. Education to me is something that when one possesses, it cannot be taken away, this learning is ingrained in our brain and encourages us to do amazing and brilliant things.

I cannot just sit back and watch students like me suffer educationally. I cannot just accept that these students are being deprived of education resources when I know I am capable of doing something about it. It is so much more than service, it is so much more than just advocacy. It is true, genuine, love, and care for these students, teachers, parents, and all people around who will benefit from our efforts. EEiP and SIP are two things that I hope leave a mark on the advancement of education in the Philippines. Our efforts are meant to stay in the Philippines and continue creating change long past SIP’s travel into Porac, Pampanga.

Your support is valued and appreciated on our journey.

Citations 
“7 Key Issues and Problems of Philippine Education.” ImbaLife, imbalife.com/7-key-issues-and-problems-of-philippine-education.

U.S. Agency for International Development. (2020, June 19). U.S. provides PHP126 million to support Filipino children's education during pandemic: Press release: Philippines. U.S. Agency for International Development. Retrieved December 24, 2021, from usaid.gov/philippines/press-releases/jun-18-2020-us-provides-php126-million-support-filipino-children-education

Wikimedia Foundation. (2021, October 21). Universal Access to Quality Tertiary Education Act. Wikipedia. Retrieved December 24, 2021, from en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Access_to_Quality_Tertiary_Education_Act

Vergara, Robert. “5 In 10 Filipino Families Deprived of Basic Education -Statistics Body.” Cnn, cnnphilippines.com/business/2018/11/15/multidimensional-poverty-index-mpi-education-psa.html.

Natasha Karjala is a Junior attending a top preparatory highschool in the state of Washington dedicated to her cause as EEiP and SIP. Karjala, Head of STEM in PHL. (SIP) introduces the addition of EEiP to the curriculum creating stronger advocacy for the attainability of quality education in the Philippines.