Why is mental health important in young children? | Teen Ink

Why is mental health important in young children?

By avantinaidu BRONZE, Wellington, Florida
avantinaidu BRONZE, Wellington, Florida

Mental Health: What is it?

Mental health is the state of well-being in which a person understands his or her behaviors as well as the actions which result from those behaviors. Mental Health awareness and support is necessary in childhood and adolescence because developing strong mental health at a young age can have positive impacts throughout life. Conversely, when mental health is not supported in childhood, people can experience developmental delays or other health issues. Mental health includes our “emotional, social and physiological well-being” (CDC). Our mental health affects us and the people around us, the choices we make, the way we think, and how we feel. In this research paper, we will discuss the factors that contribute to the development of poor mental health as well as method that support strong mental health.

Good mental health is an integral component of a healthy childhood. The World Health Organization says that “adolescence is a crucial period for developing social and emotional habits important for mental well-being” (WHO). Children need to be supported in building strong relationships with themselves and others to learn to adapt to changes in their childhood.

What can lead to mental health complications?

Internal and external factors can lead to mental health consequences. Internal factors are characteristics within the individual, such as negative self-talk, rigid thinking, and unrealistic expectations. External factors are those that occur around the individual, such as school, family, friends, and major life changes. The more risk factors a child is exposed to, the higher the risk of developing a mental health issue. Peer pressure, exploration of sexual identity, the increased use of technology and media exposure are a few of the primary factors which can contribute to stress in a child; if left untreated, everyday stress can lead to mental health complications. Media and technological influence can confuse a child’s perception of reality. Unhealthy relationships with peers can lead to violence such as bullying and sexual assault, causing vulnerability and detrimental mental health effects. Harsh parenting and socioeconomic issues can also result in a child feeling pressured, thus making them more vulnerable to the grasp of mental health disorders. Some adolescents are at a greater risk of exposing themselves to mental health conditions due to factors resulting from certain norms of society such as living conditions, discrimination and lack of quality support and services. In turn, children who develop mental health conditions consider themselves socially excluded, discriminated against, more prone to physical illnesses and risky behavior behaviors, and educational difficulties. Common disorders that affect children and adolescents include emotional disorders, behavioral disorders, eating disorders and self-harm or at worst suicide.

Emotional Disorders

Emotional disorders first present typically during early adolescence.  It is estimated that 3.6% of 10–14-year-olds and 4.6% of 15–19-year-olds experience an anxiety disorder. Depression is estimated to occur among 1.1% of adolescents aged 10-14 years, and 2.8% of 15-19-year-olds“ (WHO). Emotional disorders such as depression and anxiety are common in youth due to stress with school, friends, or family. Changes in mood and external factors can result in unexpected bursts of emotional displays. Adolescents can also correlate their symptoms to physical symptoms such as headaches and nausea. Emotional disorders can affect life practically anywhere. Social withdrawal and seclusion are common signs of emotional discomfort. At its worst, emotional disorders can lead to self-harm and even suicide if the teens do not receive adequate support.

Behavioral Disorders

Childhood behavior disorders are extremely detrimental to adolescents and can lead to consequential health issues if left untreated. This form of a disorder in childhood is proven to be the “second leading cause of disease burden in young adolescents aged 10-14 years and the eleventh leading cause among older adolescents aged 15-19 years” (WHO). Behavioral disorders can result from emotional disorders, cause them, or be a standalone issue.

Common disorders include:

Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
Oppositional Defiant Disorder (ODD)
Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD)
Anxiety Disorder
Depression
Bipolar Disorder
Learning Disorders
Conduct Disorders
With proper support from parents, guardians, or professionals, some disorders can pass as the child matures and understands the world around them. Support requires understanding and patience. Despite this support, some disorders may persist or are untreatable and thus require compassion and sensitivity to help the child grow and succeed even if they possess a disability. If behavior disorders are not treated early, in the worst sense, they can lead to the practice of criminal activities and death.

Eating Disorders

Eating disorders often develop due to underlying causes which can worsen due to troubling social, mental, or physical relationships with one’s peers. Examples include anorexia nervosa, bulimia nervosa, and binge-eating. Eating disorders are more commonly associated with females than males, as new studies show that females are more likely to deal with brain activity relating to negative body perception than males. This form of disorder is detrimental to health and can coexist with other mental health conditions such as anxiety, depression, or OCD.

Suicide/Self-harm

Suicide and/or self-harm has shown to be the final resort a child or adolescent can take if their poor mental health continues to take over their mind. According to Boston Children’s Hospital, “​​in 2019 suicide was the second leading cause of death among children and adolescents ages 13 to 19 — and the leading cause of death among 13-year-olds. It is the 10th leading cause of death among all Americans” (Boston Children’s Hospital). Suicide and self-harm are most commonly associated with cases of adolescence who have underlying mental health conditions. Signs of adolescents’ self-harm can correlate with:

●      ​​mental illness/psychiatric diagnosis/physical illness

●      family history of suicide and/or exposure to suicide

●      family history of mental illness

●      physical or sexual abuse

●      aggressive behavior

●      lack of social support/social isolation

●      difficulties in dealing with sexual orientation

●      family disruptions

●      traumatic events

How to improve mental health?

Adopting healthy sleep patterns, getting regular exercise, learning to manage emotions, and developing problem-solving skills are important habits which decrease the chance of mental health complications in youth. Also, a supportive environment within and beyond the family and friend circle is beneficial. Mental health in youth needs attention as according to the CDC, “[approximately] 1 in 6 U.S. children aged 2–8 years (17.4%) had a diagnosed mental, behavioral, or developmental disorder” (CDC). Those who have shown good mental health often:

●      Feel better about themselves

●      Are easily able to adapt to new changes

●      Feel involved in their activities

●      Have healthy relationships with those around them

●      Are both physically and emotionally healthy

If a child shows signs of poor mental health, there are many ways to make positive changes. 

Changes Involving Parents/Family

A pivotal method of improving a child’s mental health begins with the parents and close family members. “[Family] love and support and a strong relationship with you can have a direct and positive influence on your child’s mental health. It can even reduce the chances of your child experiencing mental health problems” (Raising Children Network). Showing support to a child directly correlates with a positive reaction in the child’s mental health.

Here are some way parents and/or caregivers can help promote a child’s wellbeing:

●      Showing love, affection, and support for your child

●      Spending time with your child

●      Praising your child’s achievements

●      Valuing your child’s opinions

●      Working together to find solutions to problems

These five ideas are a few of the many ways a parent or guardian can develop a healthy relationship with their child. Although developing a healthy relationship may not immediately result in a drastic improvement in your child’s mental health, it is a long-term investment in health.

Physical Changes

Physical health is essential for mental health. Problems in physical health significantly increase the risk of developing long-term mental health complications. According to the Mental Health Foundation “nearly one in three people with a long-term physical health condition also has a mental health problem, most often depression or anxiety” (Mental Health Foundation). Young people are much more likely to develop poor mental health if they are not physically healthy. Encouraging a child to keep active, develop healthy eating and sleep habits, and avoiding drugs and alcohol will help the child to stay healthy, feel confident, manage stress, and have more energy to face their day.

Caring for Yourself

Caring for oneself is also extremely important during the journey of helping one’s child develop good mental health. Some might think that it is only important to focus on the child, but in reality, the child learns from the actions of the others around them. Showing self-care and confidence is a good way of modeling oneself to their child. Self-care encourages a parent/guardian to maintain a healthy relationship with themselves so that they can transmit the good emotions to others.

Here are a few ways you care for yourself:

●      Build relationships with people with whom you can safely talk to about anything

●      Make time for your own relationships and plans

●      Make time in the day to relax and cope with stress. Take a few minutes to sit down, close your eyes, and just relax.

●      Try different coping strategies such as routines, exercise, or hobbies.

Professional Help

Mental health problems are unlikely to get better on their own and sometimes professional help is needed. It is important to seek outside help if a parent/guardian is not able to adequately support their child on their own, as untreated mental health problems can affect the child’s long-term wellbeing and quality of life.

Professional support options include:

●      Therapy

●      School counselors

●      Psychologists

●      Community health care centers

Poor mental health is not anybody’s fault and is quite common amongst adolescents as they are trying to adapt with the growing world around them. The most important concept during this process is to not blame oneself or the child and to help the child grow and develop a positive and healthy relationship with themselves and their community.

What are some resources for mental health support?

Mental health awareness over the years has been significantly increasing. Society’s attitude towards mental health has become more positive and welcoming. “People are becoming more accepting of mental health problems and more supportive of people with issues. They are more aware of common mental disorders such as depression and anxiety and are more willing to talk to health professionals and seek treatment” (NHS Digital). Also, there are many more resources relating to mental health support such as:

●      FindTreatment.gov

●      American Psychiatric Foundation

●      American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry

●      Mindful Learners

The evidence is clear: To better allow our children to be prepared or any obstacles or events in their lives now and into the future, they must learn to maintain a positive and health mental health. Staying physically health might allow us to live longer but staying mentally healthy will allow us to live the longest lives possible with as much happiness and joy as possible. Our mental health affects the way we think, feel, act, and cope with choices; our mental health affects the way we grow and adapt throughout our lives; our mental health affects who we are today and who will be become. Take steps little by little each day to improve your mental health and watch how the way you view things in your life will differ. If not for yourself, think about how you want your children and family to live their best and fullest lives. 

Works Cited

“Adolescent Mental Health.” World Health Organization, 17 Nov. 2021, www.who.int/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/adolescent-mental-health.

“Data and Statistics on Children’s Mental Health | CDC.” Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 15 June 2020, www.cdc.gov/childrensmentalhealth/data.html.

“Mental Health | CDC.” Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 20 July 2021, www.cdc.gov/mentalhealth/index.htm.

“Mental Health in Pre-Teens and Teenagers.” Raising Children Network, 13 May 2021, raisingchildren.net.au/pre-teens/mental-health-physical-health/about-mental-health/teen-mental-health.

“The Past, Present and Future of Innovation in Mental Health.” NHS Digital, digital.nhs.uk/blog/transformation-blog/2018/the-past-present-and-future-of-innovation-in-mental-health. Accessed 2 Dec. 2021.

“Physical Health and Mental Health.” Mental Health Foundation, 20 July 2021, www.mentalhealth.org.uk/a-to-z/p/physical-health-and-mental-health.

“Suicide and Teens | Boston Children’s Hospital.” Boston Children’s Hospital, www.childrenshospital.org/conditions-and-treatments/conditions/s/suicide-and-teens. Accessed 2 Dec. 2021.

Hi, my name is Avantika. I have seen others around me affected by mental health and I feel that in today's society taking care of your mental health in important.