How does the UN maintain national order? | Teen Ink

How does the UN maintain national order?

June 2, 2022
By dribotta1 GOLD, Tirana, Other
dribotta1 GOLD, Tirana, Other
16 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Sometimes I'll start a sentence, and I don't even know where it's going. I just hope I find it along the way. Like an improv conversation. An improversation. " - Michael Gary Scott.


The United Nations is an international organization that was set up to maintain peace after World War II. Now, they also have other branches such as UN Women which helps to reach gender equality and women empowerment. Now the United Nations focuses on a lot more than just international order. The UN currently has 193 countries as members out of the 196. Only the Vatican City and Palestine remain out for political and/or religious reasons. 
The Security Council, due to it being one of the most important organs or group of the United Nations, has the job of ensuring that there is an equal but substantial amount of safety in all the countries that participate in the UN. It is made up of fifteen members of which 5 have permanent seats, including France, China, Russia, UK and US. All countries that want to be part of the UN need to accept their terms and conditions first.  
Throughout the UN’s existence, they have tried in many ways to maintain world order. Their main strategy is to settle peaceful settlements of disputes so that international conflicts can be held in a more reasonable manner. The Security council cannot intervene in disputes when they are kept under control. If they think that a dispute is beginning to look somewhat harmful to anyone or anything then they can decide to take various actions to resolve said issue.  
The council can set sanctions on any nation they think are being aggressive. They mostly have set economic sanctions on different nations. Said sanctions can disrupt any and all economic ties and communications between countries. When sanctions are set, the country being sanctioned is deprived of certain “strategic” materials and/or resources which would ideally push them to stop being aggressive. Usually, these sanctions are implemented so that the countries that support said implementation wouldn’t get harmed. One example is the Gulf War of 1990, where the Security Council strongly advised Iraq to retire its troops. When Saddam Hussein said no, they imposed serious sanctions against the Iraq government making them unable to participate in international trade.  
Another method that is used within the UN is, peacekeeping. In the 90s there were usually many peacekeeping missions within countries such as Bosnia, Rwanda and one recently in Iraq. To prevent nations from being aggressive, the Security council also used what they call the Disarmament method. This method was essentially founded to reduce or potentially eliminate the use of nuclear and chemical weapons, and the possible prohibition of biological weapons, all these could be extremely fatal to the world. As you can see, the UN has had a lot of trouble keeping up international peace but until now, I’d say that they’ve done a fantastic job.  
In the end, the Security Council has been doing a very good job at maintaining world peace so far and they have done things like set up settlements of disputes so that conflicts could be discussed in a more rational and calm manner. I think that they shouldn’t have any permanent members because then those countries would have more power over all members, and they could use that power to get what it best for their nation. Either way, I think that this organization has helped the world in so many ways and it should be supported by everyone since its goal is to maintain world peace and security.