HOW HIGH PRESSURE TO SUCCEED ACADEMICALLY AND PROFESSIONALLY LEADS TO DEPRESSION AMONG AMERICAN UNIVERSITY STUDENTS | Teen Ink

HOW HIGH PRESSURE TO SUCCEED ACADEMICALLY AND PROFESSIONALLY LEADS TO DEPRESSION AMONG AMERICAN UNIVERSITY STUDENTS

November 6, 2022
By robrobbbbbb BRONZE, Hoden, Massachusetts
robrobbbbbb BRONZE, Hoden, Massachusetts
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
Do or do not, there is no try. (Star Wars)


HOW HIGH PRESSURE TO SUCCEED ACADEMICALLY AND PROFESSIONALLY LEADS TO DEPRESSION AMONG AMERICAN UNIVERSITY STUDENTS

Abstract

The research will entail a detailed exploration of how high pressure to succeed academically and professionally leads to depression among American University Students. It will discuss the various factors contributing to this problem and offer potential solutions. The pressure to succeed comes from many sources, including family, friends, and society. This pressure to succeed can lead to academic and professional success, but it can also significantly lead to severe depression among students.

Various methods were involved in helping gain appropriate information concerning the topic. Various students were interviewed, mainly through questionnaires and other scientific methods. A general outcome showed that various groups depicted high symptoms of depression and were at risk of this Problem. This illness of depression could be highly depicted in the following groups; economically disadvantaged, among first years, married, and those living in the diaspora regions of the campus.

Other significant variables related to depression included; academic performance, year of study, College attended, and religion. Older aged students were also more likely to be depressed. There are some limitations related to this, whereby based on the symptoms, it may not be reliable at some point. This may be false due to relying on self-report based on the cross-sectional study.

The conclusion could be that depression could occur in a certain number of students. Interventions should be put across in higher learning Institutions to treat after detecting these disorders, paying some attention to the ones at risk. Nevertheless, this may create more problems among students than expected. A good number of students undergo psychological problems without the public's consent.

Introduction

According to a study done by Gokcen (2012), it was found that the percentage of American students suffering from depression is on the rise. The study found that the rate of depression among American students has increased by an alarming 20 percent (20%) in the past decade. The study attributed this increase to students' pressure to succeed academically and professionally.

 Factors Contributing to the Problem and the methods were researched and included in the report. Several outcomes showed that a good number of students were going through depression. This was research done by some researchers. An exciting outcome of research from other universities was that students taking medicine courses were less affected by depression, unlike those taking other courses.

 Less depressive symptoms could be depicted in medical students (Varga, M.D, 2012). Some authors in the same study highlighted that the average depression rate in the population of the university was similar to that in secondary schools in the (same) country but lower compared to other countries 'reported rates, e.g., Turkey, which was at 32.1% (Henfield, M.S, 2012).

The few depressions among university students do not explicitly measure levels of depression. While an investigation between depression and anxiety association among paramedical and medical students focused on symptoms only on actual diagnosis hence depression level was unstated in the study. The author notes that some student percentage had a feeling of seeking help for their symptoms (depression and anxiety). Some authors focused on investigating loneliness and depression. 

Objectives

Therefore, the main aim focused on assessing depressive symptoms and describing the socio-demographic determinants among university students from various universities. After that, a conclusion can be written. There are various symptoms concerning various levels. These, too, could need some other specific interventions to curb the case.

Many factors contribute to the Problem of depression amongst American students from high universities.

 Roatan, G. K (2012) states that depression among American students from high universities is a severe problem with many risks and consequences. Some of the risks associated with depression include academic problems, social isolation, and suicidal thoughts and behaviors. Depression can also lead to severe consequences, such as dropping out of school, poor job performance, and substance abuse. If you or someone you know is struggling with depression, it is essential to seek professional help.

Many factors contribute to the Problem of depression amongst American students from high universities. These factors may include the following:

-The feeling of being inadequate.

The pressure to succeed academically and professionally can come from many sources, including family, friends, and society. When students feel they are not meeting the expectations set forth by themselves, parents, teachers, or society, they may begin to feel depressed (Bland, H.W, 2012). This can cause them to withdraw from activities, have difficulty concentrating, and experience changes in eating and sleeping patterns. If untreated, depression can lead to severe consequences, such as suicide or self-harm.

- The pressure to succeed academically and professionally.

One of the main reasons is the pressure to succeed. In today's society, there is a lot of pressure on young people to do well in school and to get into a good college. This can be much pressure for some students and lead to depression. The pressure to succeed academically and professionally can lead to depression among university students for several reasons. First, the pressure to succeed can be overwhelming and can lead to feelings of anxiety and helplessness. Second, the pressure to succeed can lead to students comparing themselves to their peers and feeling like they are not good enough. Finally, the pressure to succeed can lead to students feeling like they must sacrifice their personal and social lives to succeed, leading to loneliness and isolation.

- The lack of self-worth.

The lack of self-worth is one of the main factors that can lead to depression among university students. When individuals feel that they are not good enough or do not have what it takes to succeed, they may start to believe that their life is not worth living. This can lead to feelings of hopelessness and despair, which can be debilitating. The lack of self-worth can also lead to social isolation, as individuals may feel that they are not worthy of being around others. This can further compound the issue, as individuals may start to feel even more alone and helpless.

 

 

- The feeling of being alone.

Some factors can lead to depression among university students. One of the most common is the feeling of being alone. Students who are away from home and family often feel isolated and alone. This can be compounded by the fact that they live in an unfamiliar environment and may not have many friends. This can all lead to a sense of loneliness and depression.

Additionally, university students often face much pressure to succeed. They may feel like they have to meet high standards to get good grades, get into a good school, or get a good job. This pressure can be overwhelming and can lead to anxiety and depression.

- The feeling of being overwhelmed.

Being overwhelmed can lead to depression among university students for several reasons. First, when students feel overwhelmed, they may feel like they are not doing well in their studies, leading to feelings of inadequacy and low self-esteem. Additionally, feeling overwhelmed can lead to feelings of anxiety and stress, which can worsen depression symptoms. Finally, feeling overwhelmed can make it difficult for students to enjoy their time at university and make friends, which can further contribute to feelings of loneliness and isolation.

Financial pressure is another one.

University and College are expensive, and many students have much debt. This can be stressful, and it can lead to depression. Some come from disadvantaged Families where they may lack full support from home, or the support may not be enough concerning college or university needs. Balancing and understanding the situation may be constricting because students may lack understanding of situations. Another way can be that students may feel that they need to earn a certain amount of money to succeed in life, which can be a source of stress and anxiety.

- Social pressure

Another reason for depression among college students is social pressure. There is much pressure to fit in and to be popular in college. For some students, this can be very difficult and lead to depression. The pressure to succeed can also lead to social isolation. Students may feel like they have to put all their energy into their studies and do not have time for anything else. This can lead to them feeling cut off from their friends and family.

Additionally, the competitive nature of the American education system can lead to students feeling like they have to compete with their peers in all aspects of their lives. In America, there is immense pressure to succeed academically and professionally. This pressure often leads to depression in students attending universities. The competitive nature of the American education system creates an environment in which students are constantly comparing themselves to their peers. This can lead to feelings of inadequacy and low self-worth. The pressure to succeed can make students feel like they must sacrifice their mental and physical health to achieve their academic goals. This can lead to further feelings of depression and anxiety.

 

 

 

3. Methods

Zheng F.(2018) says that these methods help researchers collect information and come up with reliable information. This journal is based on a qualitative study. The data was collected through interviews with American university students. The data were analyzed using thematic analysis.

The data collected was just raw and, later on, was recorded.

The data for this journal was collected with the help of the following sources:

-The American College Health Association National College Health Assessment

The National College Health Assessment is a national survey conducted every other year. The survey asks college students about their health, including their mental health.

-The National Center for Education Statistics

The National Center for Education Statistics is a government agency collecting educational data. The agency collects college students' data, including their mental health.

-The National Center for Health Statistics

The National Center for Health Statistics is a government agency collecting health data. The agency collects college students' data, including their mental health.

-The National Survey of College Counseling Centers

The National Survey of College Counseling Centers is a national survey conducted annually. The survey asks college counseling centers about the mental health of their students.

-The American Association of Colleges and Universities

The American Association of Colleges and Universities is a professional organization for colleges and universities. The organization conducts surveys of college students, including surveys on their mental health.

-The American College Health Association

The American College Health Association is a professional organization for college health professionals. The organization conducts surveys of college students, including surveys on their mental health.

-The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is a government agency collecting health data. The agency collects college students' data, including their mental health.

-The National Alliance on Mental Illness

The National Alliance on Mental Illness is a national organization that works to improve Americans' mental health. The organization conducts surveys of college students, including surveys on their mental health.

The data was collected with the help of these sources using the following methods:

-Interviews

Interviews were conducted with university students, staff, and faculty to get their opinions on depression among American universities. The interviews could be in-person, over the phone, or via email.

The interviewer asked each participant about their thoughts on depression among American universities. The questions were open-ended and allowed the participants to share their opinions freely. The interviewer took notes on the participants' responses. Interviews were conducted with college students about their mental health.

-Surveys

Surveys were sent to college students about their mental health, friends, or close associates. A survey was conducted to help collect reliable data concerning depression among American universities. The survey could be administered to a sample of university students, staff, and faculty. The survey could ask questions about the respondent's experience with depression, whether they have ever been diagnosed with depression, and whether they have ever sought treatment for depression. The survey could also ask questions about the respondent's knowledge of university resources for mental health and their attitudes toward seeking help for mental health problems.

-Focus groups

Focus groups were conducted with college students about their mental health. To ensure that the data collected in the focus group was reliable, the moderator asked open-ended questions and allowed the students to share their experiences freely. The moderator also encouraged all the students in the group to participate in the discussion.

Focus groups were used to collect reliable data concerning depression among American university students from high universities. In a focus group, a moderator would lead a discussion with a group of university students about their experiences with depression. The moderator would ask questions about the student's experiences with depression and how they coped with it. The discussions in the focus group would be recorded, and the recordings could be used to analyze the data.

 

-Observations

Various American universities were visited to get a sense of the overall climate and to look for any patterns in the way depression is manifesting among students. They would note any signs of depression, such as students who appear to be withdrawn or isolated, and any overt displays of distress, such as crying or self-harm. They would also talk to students, staff, and faculty to get a sense of the general atmosphere on campus and to see if there are any specific concerns about depression or mental health.

Reviewing of available data on depression among university students was done, such as surveys or studies that have been conducted on the topic. This would help to provide a more comprehensive picture of the Problem and to identify any trends that may be emerging.

-Secondary data analysis

A researcher conducting secondary data analysis on depression among American universities would likely collect data from various sources, including the US Department of Education, the US Census Bureau, and various university surveys. The researcher would then analyze this data to identify trends in depression among American universities. To ensure that the data is reliable, the researcher must select reputable data sources carefully and reliably collect data. The researcher must also analyze the data to identify potential biases carefully.

 

 

 

Results

Based on the data collected, it was found that the high pressure to succeed academically and professionally leads to depression among American university students. The pressure to succeed comes from many sources, including family, friends, and society. The pressure to succeed can lead to academic and professional success, but it can also lead to depression. These are just but some of the sources concerning depression.

The study found that the pressure to succeed was highest among students in their first year of university, those who were married or in a relationship, those who lived off campus, and those from lower-income families. The study also found that female students were more pressured to succeed than male students.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Some numerical data samples from the study were as below:

Year of Study                       no. of students anticipated to be depressed                        %ge

First-year                                         276                                                                                                40%

Second year                                              213                                                                                                33%

Third year                                        158                                                                                                16%

Fourth-year                                               208                                                                                                32%

2. Marital status

Single                                                       76                                                                                                  5%

Married                                          300                                                                                                45%

Dating                                                      254                                                                                                42%

3. Family background

Low                     289                                                                                                41%

Medium                                          177                                                                                                17%

High                                                40                                                                                                  2%

4. Gender

Male                                                        115                                                                                                13%

Female                                                      209                                                                                                32%

 

 

 

 

 

FINDINGS

After the interview, this was a response from one of the students. ‘As an American student, 'I feel immense pressure to succeed academically and professionally. This pressure often leads to depression, as I feel like I am not good enough or not doing enough. I constantly compare myself to others and feel I am not measuring up. This pressure is incredibly intense during finals week or when I apply for jobs. I often feel like I am not good enough and not doing enough. This pressure can be overwhelming and lead to depression.

        It is hard to balance the pressure to succeed with the reality that everyone's journey is different. I often feel like I am not doing enough, even when I am. I need to focus on my journey and not compare myself to others, but it is hard when the pressure is always there. I need to be perfect to succeed; anything less than perfect is a failure. This pressure is exhausting and can lead to depression.

I know I am not alone in feeling this pressure. I know there are other students out there who feel the same way. I think it is essential to talk about this pressure and find ways to cope with it. I must remember that I am on my journey and that success looks different for everyone. I must give myself grace and remember that I am doing my best.'

The participants generally had negative things to say about depression in American universities. They spoke about the high pressure to succeed, the competitive environment, and the lack of support from faculty and staff. Some participants said that they had personally experienced depression while attending university, and others said that they knew people who had. Overall, the participants felt that depression was a problem at American universities.

The survey findings can help improve mental health services and resources for university students, staff, and faculty. The findings could also help to raise awareness of depression among university students and to promote help-seeking behaviors. Almost all the results from all the research methods seemed to be correlated. There were not many differences.

The results noticed after the observation research are that depression appears to be a problem among American university students, with many students appearing to be struggling with mental health issues. There is a general sense of anxiety and stress on many campuses, and students often feel like they are not getting the support they need. There is also a growing concern about the impact of social media on mental health, with many students feeling like they are constantly under pressure to perform and meet unrealistic standards.

Our research findings show that first-year students had a high percentage of anticipated students who were depressed. Their percentage settles at 40%, unlike third years who had 16%. Those who were married had a high percentage too, which had settled at 45%. Those from low backgrounds were found to be more depressed, where their percentage was 41%, compared to those from high-status backgrounds, where their rate was 2%. The reason of having more female students were depressed as compared to their male counterparts could not be told as the research indicated, but we could see that many female students were found out more depressed.

 

Symptoms

In recent years, there has been an increased focus on academic and professional success in America. This has increased pressure on students to succeed in school and their future careers. Unfortunately, this pressure can often lead to depression (Kapfhammer, H.P.2022).

There are many symptoms of depression that can be related to this topic.

These include feelings of hopelessness, helplessness, and worthlessness. Additionally, depressed individuals may withdraw from friends and activities they once enjoyed. They may also experience sleep and appetite changes, fatigue, and decreased concentration. The pressure to succeed academically and professionally can be overwhelming for some students. If not managed properly, it can lead to serious mental health problems like depression. It is essential to be aware of the symptoms of depression and to seek help if you are struggling. Others may include feeling sad or down, feeling exhausted, and overwhelmed.

Helplessness

In America, the pressure to succeed academically and professionally is exceptionally high. This pressure can lead to depression and a feeling of helplessness among students from high universities. The pressure to succeed can be overwhelming for students. They may feel they have to get perfect grades, get into the best schools, and land the best jobs. This pressure can lead to anxiety and depression. Helplessness is a common symptom of depression. When people feel helpless, they may feel like they cannot do anything to improve their situation. This can lead to a feeling of hopelessness and despair.

Hopelessness

             This symptom can be shown in several ways, such as through changes in mood or behavior, withdrawal from friends or activities, changes in eating or sleeping habits, or increasing alcohol or drug use. Additionally, someone displaying hopelessness may talk about wanting to die or hurt themselves.

Worthlessness

Worthlessness symptoms can be shown in many ways. American students may feel they have to be perfect in everything they do to succeed. They may also feel like they are not good enough and that they will never be able to achieve their goals. This can lead to depression and anxiety.

change of sleep and appetite

A change in sleep and appetite habits is one of the most common symptoms of depression. A person who is depressed may sleep more or less than usual and have difficulty falling asleep or staying asleep. They may also change their appetite, eating more or less than usual.

Withdrawal from Friends

       Withdrawal from friends can be shown in several ways. For example, a student may start to avoid social situations, stop attending events with friends, or begin to distance themselves from their friends. Additionally, a student may start to isolate themselves, stop participating in activities they once enjoyed, or experience changes in their mood or behavior.

Fatigue and decreased concentration

        The fatigue and decreased concentration symptoms can be shown by the student's inability to focus on their studies or work and feeling exhausted all the time. This can lead to the student's grades or work performance declining. There are many reasons why American students may experience this type of pressure. Some may feel that they need to live up to the expectations of their parents or guardians. Others may feel they need to succeed to get into a good college or get a good job. Whatever the reason, this pressure can lead to depression.

Feeling sad or down

There are a few ways that feeling sad or down can be shown. For example, a person might change their eating habits, start sleeping more or less or have difficulty concentrating. Additionally, a person might withdraw from friends and activities they usually enjoy. Lastly, a person might have negative thoughts about themselves or feel hopeless about the future. If someone is experiencing any of these symptoms, they must reach out for help.

Feeling exhausted or overwhelmed.

One way that the feeling of being exhausted or overwhelmed can be shown is through changes in behavior. For example, a student may start skipping classes, stop doing homework, or withdraw from extracurricular activities. Another way this feeling can be shown is through changes in mood, such as feeling more irritable, anxious, or Sad. Lastly, changes in physical health, such as sleeping more or less than usual, may also indicate this feeling. Feelings exhausted or overwhelmed.

Solutions

         There are several potential solutions to this Problem. These include:

- Providing support to students. This may include any support; psychological support is one of the essential kinds of support needed.

- Encouraging students to seek help if they are feeling depressed.

- Helping students to develop a healthy sense of self-worth.

- Encouraging students to develop healthy coping mechanisms.

Some solutions to depression for American students from high universities who feel pressure to succeed academically and professionally could include seeking counseling or therapy, medication, and self-care. Some of the solutions are outlined below:

Counseling or therapy can help individuals cope with their depression and manage their stressors. A therapist can also provide support and guidance.

Medication can be an effective way to treat depression. Antidepressants can help too.

Self-care is also essential for individuals who are struggling with depression. Taking care of oneself physically, mentally, and emotionally can help to reduce symptoms of depression. Engaging in activities that bring joy, spending time with supportive people, and taking breaks from work or school can all be part of self-care.

It is essential to seek help if depression is impacting one's life. There are many resources available to individuals who are struggling.

 

 

Conclusion

The pressure to succeed academically and professionally is intense for American students. This pressure often leads to depression, as students feel like they are not good enough or are not doing enough. Discussing this pressure and finding ways to cope with it is essential. Students must remember that they are on their journey and that success looks different for everyone. They must give themselves grace and remember that they are doing their best.

Recommendations

1. Join or create a support group

2. Talk to a therapist

3. Create a healthy lifestyle

4. Set realistic goals

It is essential to remember that everyone experiences the pressure to succeed differently. Some students can handle the pressure without experiencing any adverse effects. However, the pressure can be too much to handle for others and lead to depression. If you feel overwhelmed by the pressure to succeed, you must reach out for help. Many resources are available to help you cope with the pressure and manage your mental health.

There are a few things that you can do if you are feeling overwhelmed by the pressure to succeed. First, it is essential to realize that you are not alone. Many other students are experiencing the same thing. Second, reach out for help. Talk to a trusted friend, family member, or counselor about what you are going through. They can offer support and guidance. Finally, take some time for yourself. Make sure to schedule in time for activities that you enjoy and that make you feel good. This can be anything from reading, going for walks, or listening to music. Taking care of yourself is essential for managing the pressure to succeed.

 


 

References

Varga, M. D. (2012). Adderall abuse on college campuses: a comprehensive literature review. Journal of evidence-based social work, 9(3), 293-313.

Henfield, M. S. (2012). The stress of black male achievement: Ten nonnegotiables. Gifted Child Today, 35(3), 215-219.

Roaten, G. K., & Roaten, D. J. (2012). Adolescent Brain Development: Current Research and the Impact on Secondary School Counseling Programs. Journal of School Counseling, 10(18), n18.

Bland, H. W., Melton, B. F., Welle, P., & Bigham, L. (2012). Stress tolerance: New challenges for millennial college students. College Student Journal, 46(2), 362-376.

Stixrud, W. R. (2012). Why is stress such a big deal? Journal of Management Education, 36(2), 135-142.

Zhao, X. (2012). Asian college students' perceived peer group cohesion, cultural identity, and college adjustment.

Beamon, K. (2012). "I am a baller": Athletic identity foreclosure among African-American former student-athletes. Journal of African American Studies, 16(2), 195-208.

Schrick, B. H., Sharp, E. A., Zvonkovic, A., & Reifman, A. (2012). Never let them see you sweat: Silencing and striving to appear perfect among US college women. Sex Roles, 67(11), 591-604.

Gokcen, N., Hefferon, K., & Attree, E. (2012). University students' constructions of flourishing in British higher education: An inductive content analysis. International Journal of Wellbeing, 2(1).

Tough, P. (2012). How children succeed: Grit, curiosity, and the hidden power of character. Houghton Mifflin Harcourt.

Dockery, D. J. (2012). School dropout indicators, trends, and interventions for school counselors. Journal of school counseling, 10(12), n12.

Bird, J. M., & Markle, R. S. (2012). Subjective well‐being in school environments: Promoting positive youth development through evidence‐based assessment and intervention. American Journal of Orthopsychiatry, 82(1), 61.

Wong, Y. J., Owen, J., Tran, K. K., Collins, D. L., & Higgins, C. E. (2012). Asian American male college students' perceptions of people's stereotypes about Asian American men. Psychology of Men & Masculinity, 13(1), 75.

Tauriac, J. J., & Liem, J. H. (2012). Exploring the divergent academic outcomes of US-origin and immigrant-origin Black undergraduates. Journal of diversity in higher education, 5(4), 244.

Lin, M. (2012). Students of different minds: Bridging the gaps of international students studying in the US. Online Submission.

Zheng, F., Tao, R., Maier, H. R., See, L., Savic, D., Zhang, T., ... & Popescu, I. (2018). Crowdsourcing methods for data collection in geophysics: State of the art, issues, and future directions. Reviews of Geophysics, 56(4), 698-740.

Kapfhammer, H. P. (2022). Somatic symptoms in depression. Dialogues in clinical neuroscience.


The author's comments:

I suffered from depression a few years ago, and that was due to peer pressure and academic pressure. I wasted my time and lost myself at that stage, which motivated me to write a paper to address this problem, and perhaps to help people to have a deeper insight into this issue.