Investigative Essay: Analog Versus Digital Learning | Teen Ink

Investigative Essay: Analog Versus Digital Learning

Since the invention of the personal computer in 1973, technology has advanced exponentially. As modern technology made its way into practically every aspect of life, a multitude of changes have occurred. Society generally speculates that these changes, as well as the majority of technological advancements, are positive. Schools, in particular, have readily embraced the use of computers and other personal devices for teachers and students alike. However, a more traditional learning milieu in which students use pencils and paper can enhance student performance. Despite the extensive research that corroborates this point, administrators and educators progressively place greater emphases on technology in classrooms. Compared to computer-based learning, the use of pencil and paper in education can lead to a significantly higher level of focus and deepen learning.

Findings from an investigation conducted at Brooklawn Middle School support this statement. The topic of investigation was whether the writing utensils used, such as traditional wooden pencils, mechanical pencils, ink pens, or Chromebooks, had a correlation to the overall levels of noise and focus in a classroom. When students were instructed to read, a high level of focus and low noise was recorded (Investigation). This is usually considered as ideal as a brand-new, freshly sharpened pencil. The use of Chromebooks led to a low level of noise, because computers are so engaging, but medium-low levels of focus, due to online distractions being highly accessible (Investigation). Pencils on paper caused students to be either very focused, working diligently without distraction, or minimally focused, students staring aimlessly at the paper. In the latter case, students were seldom writing or doing any visibly productive tasks (Investigation). It is plausible that this disparity of productivity is dependent on multiple variables, one of which is certainly the clarity of the instructions of the assignment that students have been instructed to complete. Therefore, when a clear assignment is provided, pencils on paper provide a more focused classroom environment.

Many teachers acknowledge higher performance in paper-users, further proving that computers can be detrimental to a student’s success. For example, in the article, “Technology Fail: Students Learn Better with Old-Fashioned Pencil and Paper,” Tony Miller, a Charles E. Tressler Distinguished Teaching Award-winning social studies teacher, says, “Students with paper tend to do better than those with phones. I’ve noticed this...[since 2014]” (Spruill). Additionally, a study analyzed by Rebecca Luborsky in the article, “Should You Study with Paper or Screens?” saw brain waves detected in the hippocampus, as well as other parts of the brain that connect to visual imagining and language (Luborsky). These findings demonstrate that three-dimensional visualizations are more easily remembered by participants writing on paper (Luborsky). When reading on paper, brains can remember the information by connecting it to a certain place on the page. Unfortunately, students do not always realize that print can help them. Claudia Wallis’ article, “A Textbook Dilemma: Digital or Paper?” describes another study conducted by Patricia Alexander, in which “[students] thought they learned better from digital text,” because, “they moved more quickly in that medium.” (Wallis). The aforementioned study reported that 69% of students “...assume[d] that because they were going faster, they understood it better…[but]...it’s an illusion” (Wallis). Students intuitively believe that a quicker pace indicates greater understanding. This belief is incorrect, like a test someone has failed, a more rapid reading pace indicates less time for a student’s brain to comprehend and absorb information. If students realize this, they can slow down deliberately to promote understanding and recall, or better yet, make the effort to switch to paper, simply by printing out their assignments. According to “A Textbook Dilemma: Digital or Paper?,” other benefits of reading and working on paper include that readers are “...free from online distractions, and with pages to peruse in any order, and inscribe with minimal notes” (Wallis). Also, the article, “Technology Fail: Students Learn Better with Old-Fashioned Pencil and Paper," by Tory Spruill, states that despite a multitude of benefits associated with paper materials, “in the 2015 school year, 80% of [Maryland] PARCC tests are to be done on a computer, and after [2016], all PARCC tests are expected to be taken with a screen and keyboard over pen and paper” (Spruill). 

When analogue writing materials are utilized, a learning environment becomes instantly more productive. So why do teachers and administrators continue to execute decisions that make it more difficult for children to succeed? On the contrary, educators should be supporting formats that help their students learn. Teachers should refuse to let computers cloud the educational experience of their students to help the learners of the future attain success. Educators can assist their students’ progress simply by abstaining from the use of computer-based curricula and choosing to assign more work on paper.

Works Cited

Luborsky, Rebecca. "Should You Study with Paper or Screens?" Pocket Prep, 28 Feb. 2022, www.pocketprep.com/posts/should-you-study-with-paper-or-screens/. Accessed 15 Dec. 2023.

Spruill, Tory. "Technology Fail: Students Learn Better with Old-Fashioned Pencil and Paper." The Lance, Linganore High School Lancer Media, 18 May 2016, www.lhslance.org/2016/opinion/technology-fail-students-learn-better-with-old-fashioned-pencil-and-paper/. Accessed 9 Jan. 2024.

Wallis, Claudia. "A Textbook Dilemma: Digital or Paper?" The Hechinger Report, 23 Aug. 2017, www.hechingerreport.org/textbook-dilemma-digital-paper/. Accessed 11 Dec. 2023.