How to Operate a Car | Teen Ink

How to Operate a Car

When you are of age to drive and have completed Driver’s Education and Behind the Wheel, operating a motor vehicle can come with challenges. However, with some tips and advice you will be on the road in no time. “First off you have to start the car before you can even operate it,” says Mason Crnkovich who is an experienced driver of two years located in Hartland, WI. Mason has driven in all types of weather, roads, and areas with no problems or incidence while on the road; so he can be trusted. After learning about your vehicle, through your own exploration or the car’s manual, you wish to operate. We must start with the basic setup of the car.

Make sure to adjust all mirrors so you have visibility around you, make sure to adjust the temperature as well to be comfortable so you don’t overheat while operating your vehicle, and finally; make sure the seat is adjusted to both your liking as well as so that the steering wheel and pedals are reachable and a comfortable distance away. Crnkovich suggests, “about 65 to 70 degrees Fahrenheit” relating to the temperature.   It is recommended to not go too close so that you are not cramped while driving. The last necessary item that you must attend to before driving to your destination is to buckle up… it's the law.  

Crnkovish then states, “turn the key two clicks to start the vehicle” as well as to “put the car into drive or reverse based on the area the car is currently parked in.”  Now you are ready to use your right foot to accelerate and break using the two pedals that are now a comfortable distance from you. “A slight bend in the knee with the ability to lean back in your seat while still retaining that bend in the knee” is suggested by Crnkovich.  When driving to your destination, always follow all traffic laws, be on high alert looking for dangers that could come at you, as well as paying attention to signs and road markings like stop signs and lights. The last piece of advice the expert Crnkovich has is to, “always use your turn signal, don’t be one of those jerks who doesn’t use it.” Now that all of these have been accomplished, operating a car should be a walk in the park. 

This is a brief "How To" that can be used for anyone struggling on the process of setting up a car before they drive it.