Sooner or Later: Space Exploration | Teen Ink

Sooner or Later: Space Exploration

February 13, 2024
By jeremykimm BRONZE, Santa Clarita, California
jeremykimm BRONZE, Santa Clarita, California
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Death is an interesting concept. Humans understand that it is coming but often ignore it until the end of life. Like humans, the planet will die, but it is essential to think about survival before it’s too late. 

Humans have been researching Space exploration since October 4, 1957. The Union of Soviet Socialist Republics launched Sputnik's first satellite to orbit Earth. Now, we have been able to send people to the moon, send rovers to Mars, have many satellites in space to alert us of incoming asteroids that will come in the future, and more. There are many reasons why space travel is so important. Some reasons are that we need to learn more about the solar system, advance our technology, and inspire generations to come, but most importantly, we need to find a planet that we can live on because, at some point, the earth will die. Hence, we need to find another world to live in. The article “Life on Other Planets: A Space to Call Home” states, "Experts say humans must settle on other planets to avoid extinction.” One of the major problems is how we get there.

One thing that engineers have worked on is propulsion systems. The article “A New Space Age: How Engineering is Revolutionizing Spaceflight “states Improved Propulsion Systems: Engineers have developed efficient propulsion systems that allow rockets to deliver payloads more efficiently. Advances in rocket engines, like SpaceX's Merlin engines, have increased their power and reliability, enabling heavier payloads to be launched into space.” Powerful engines are essential for future space exploration, and delivering payloads faster will help get supplies to future space explorers.

The second thing that is being developed is Human Spaceflight. NASA's article “The Future” states, “NASA is now preparing for an ambitious new era of sustainable human spaceflight and discovery. The agency is building the Space Launch System rocket and the Orion spacecraft for human deep space exploration. With the help of commercial and international partners, NASA will develop new opportunities in lunar orbit, including a platform to aid surface exploration and serve as a gateway to Mars.” Being able to walk on Mars, and further exploring space is very important.

Rushing into space without thinking of social implications is not a good idea. We need to think about society, politics, economics, and other aspects of the world that exploration will impact. We often don’t think about safety for the public before releasing new ideas (I.e., social media, weapons, etc.). 

Finding a habitable planet within the next few decades will be very challenging because we haven’t been able to send an astronaut to another planet yet. In fact, most planets in our solar system are entirely inhabitable. In the slight chance that we did find a habitable planet, getting there would be a challenge as we face material and biological issues. While most are not hopeful that a solution will be found shortly, many look forward to the future. As new feats in engineering, technology, and science emerge, we move closer and closer to being able to find a way off Earth. While there is time to find a solution -- the earth won’t be engulfed by the sun for another 7.59 billion years -- a host of other issues could make us finding another planet a pressing issue.


The author's comments:

I think space exploration is very interesting and important for the future so I decided to read some scientific journals to learn more about the topic. What I found is not commonly discussed in common media so I decided to write about it.