Churchill's Blitz and Beyond: London Remembers as It Reimagines the Future | Teen Ink

Churchill's Blitz and Beyond: London Remembers as It Reimagines the Future

By rania_allauddin BRONZE, Lahore, Other
rania_allauddin BRONZE, Lahore, Other

"Beware; for I am fearless, and therefore powerful." - Mary Shelly, Frankenstein

When you think of London what is the first thing that comes to mind? Is it royalty, fashion or afternoon tea? London is more than what meets the eyes, it’s a city which has seen disease, war and death. What we now think of as a glamorous city brimming with royalty, is a city which has struggle written into its history. From the Blitz to climate change, London is a city which has continuously shown its great ability to adapt and advance according to the need of the time.

London has seen a great amount of destruction and death. What London experienced during World War 2 is unmatched. The Blitz refers to the sustained bombing of the UK by Nazi Germans, London being the main target during World War 2. It was part of Germany’s strategy to weaken the morale of the British people and force the British government to surrender. London’s industrial and residential areas were targeted as well as Historical landmarks. The house of Parliament, The Buckingham Palace and the Tower of London all sustained damages and parts of each were destroyed. After the War ended, various reconstruction and restoration projects were started to preserve London’s history. The city’s determination to rebuild and the resilience of the landmarks stands as a testament of London’s enduring spirit. Multiple new monuments were also built to commemorate the people who fought for the United Kingdom, an example of this is “The Battle of Britain Monument” one the Victoria Embankment facing the River Thames. This shows how London rebuilt itself to face the upcoming future but still remembered all the hardships it had gone through.

London’s great adaptability born form the Blitz spirit, still endures today while facing modern challenges such as Climate Change. Climate change is huge issue faced by the whole world. Our world is getting warmers, glaciers are melting causing sea levels to rise which puts a lot of communities at risk. London is doing something about this Global issue. London has more than 550 zero emission buses. Since 2018, it has been mandatory for all newly registered taxis to be zero emission capable. Congestion charges have been out into place for entering the city at peak hours, this charge seeks to encourage the use of public transport. New green areas have been created both as a place for people to rest and provide a natural way to mitigate pollution.

All in all, London journey from War time destruction to climate change shows its resilient nature. As London keeps adapting to the need of the time, other cities can use London’s efforts as a blueprint to face their issues head on.