Fitzgerald's Writing Style | Teen Ink

Fitzgerald's Writing Style

July 25, 2024
By amandanachman SILVER, Hermosa Beach, California
amandanachman SILVER, Hermosa Beach, California
8 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Consumerism and materialism played a huge role in creating the American Dream during the 1920’s. In a novel titled The Great Gatsby, by Fitzgerald, he analyzes and criticizes the new, acceptable standard of living. The novel follows a less wealthy man, Nick, in his pursuit to fit in with the rich, but careless upper-class citizens. Fitzgerald uses repetition, comparisons, and appeal to the emotion of desire in his novel to convince the readers that the American Dream during the extreme wealth gap, was diluted with the carelessness and responsibility of the upper class. 

At the beginning of the passage, Fitzgerald portrays Nick, the narrator, as above the rest of the high-class characters by reflecting on the carelessness of the others. Nick consistently uses repetition of specific words; “It was all very careless and confused. They were careless people…or their vast carelessness” (Fitzgerald 1). The repetition of the word carelessness enforces this idea of irresponsibility toward the reader. The reader can retain and emphasize the argument that Nick is expressing and the importance of it. Additionally, continuing with this idea of inattentiveness, Fitzgerald uses a metaphor to convey his ideas through Nick's persona: "...for I felt suddenly as though I were talking to a child” (Fitzgerald 1). In this sentence, Nick compares Tom to a child. He then goes on to say; “Then he went into the jewelry store to go buy a pearl necklace-or perhaps only a pair of cuff buttons” (Fitzgerald 1). Nick's informal diction and sarcastic language by saying “Perhaps on a pair…” leads the reader to infer that Nick is comparing Tom to a child not because of his manner but because of his rash decision-making and innate materialism. The use of metaphors and repetition in this section creates a sense of understanding of the importance for the reader of Fitzgerald’s argument that the American Dream is full of careless wealthy people. 

Continuing on the with passage, Fitzgerald continues to use comparisons and appeal to emotion as he describes his scene of Gatsby’s house the past weekend. While recalling the last party, Nick states, ‘Probably it was some final guest who had been away at the end of the earth and didn’t know that the party was over” (Fitzgerald 2). Nick compares the grounds to the party to the size of the Earth, showing the extravagance and abundance of material that the wealthy desire. By comparing it to something relatable to all readers, it gives the audience a sense of understanding of the profligacy in his situation. Additionally, this exaggeration also shows how far the person wandered and the extent of his cluelessness. Because he was a wealthy person, as he was attending Gatsby’s party, and was oblivious to his surroundings, this further drives the idea that wealth equals carelessness. Later on, Fitzgerald goes on to appeal to desire as he states, “...had once pandered in the whispers to the last and greatest of all human dreams…man must have held his breath in the presence of this continent” (Fitzgerald 2). By using inclusive language like “all human” and “man”, Fitzgerald can relate his argument more to his audience by creating a connection between his fictional world and the world of the readers. The readers can better understand the true desire of the American Dream through this depiction, and relating to the historical roots of the land. Overall, Fitzgerald was able to relate to the reader by using this appeal and comparisons to the real world to prove his argument. 

In the conclusion of this passage, and of the book, Fitzgerald makes specific stylistic choices of repetition and appeal to emotion again, as he proves his final point to his argument. In the final sentences, Fitzgerald writes,” The orgiastic future that year by year recedes before us. It eludes us then, but that's no matter-tommorow we will run faster, stretch our arms farther…”(Fitzgerald 2). By using the inclusive language of “us” and “we” Fitzgerald is again relating his ideas to the audience and creating a connection with the reader. By mentioning the future and the passage of time in “Tomorrow we will run faster”, Fitzgerald is giving hope and desire for the future to the reader. This connection between the author and the audience can make the argument more digestible and the audience more susceptible to agreeing with it. Additionally, Fitzgerald uses repetition to explore the desires of not only Gatsby but also of all of the wealthy individuals during this time; “...a fresh, green beast of the new world…I thought of Gatsby’s wonder when he first picked out the green light…Gatsby believed in the green light” (Fitzgerald 2). While describing the beast as fresh and green, Fitzgerald is referring to money, but also comparing its damage to the world to a beast, which is an impactful word choice and it creates a sense of fear attached to the connotation of money. The green light, referencing the light on Daisy’s dock, also relates to money. As Gatsby goes throughout the story, he is obsessed with Daisy as she is a representation of money, and the American Dream. By constantly showing and repeating how “green”, or money, is affecting the lives of the wealthy as Gatsby continuously strives for more and it ultimately leads to failure, Fitzgerald is describing the true corruption of the American culture, which does not align with the goals of the American Dream. The repetition of this color creates an environment where the reader can quickly point out the specific piece of argument that Fitzgerald is presenting. 

Fitzgerald uses a lot of different rhetorical strategies in order to express his argument to his audience, although his use of repetition, comparison, and appeal to desire was the most effective to connect to the audience, therefore relaying his argument more effectively. Fitzgerald wanted to share that the American Dream is deceptive as that the wealthy are careless, irresponsible, and lack attention. These traits are different from the glamour presented in the era of extreme wealth. Overall, Fitzgerald presents a strong argument to share with a wider audience than just the wealthy.


The author's comments:

This piece was written for a rhetorical analysis assignment on the Great Gatsby.