Where I WIll Be | Teen Ink

Where I WIll Be

By Down2Earth BRONZE, Succasunna, New Jersey
Down2Earth BRONZE, Succasunna, New Jersey

Fourteen years of my life have gone by, and theres still so much more to come. I always wonder what life will be like when i'm older. How will I look? Where will I live? What will my surroundings turn out to be? What will I have accomplished? I look ten years into my future to see success and happiness, a life anyone could dream about. You might ask why you think I, out of anyone you've ever known, would be blessed with such a gift. Well when you come to think of it, its quite simple and easy. I found my goal, and Ill reach it with hard work and perseverance. You see, Ive always had a love for little kids. Their so innocent and pure. They don't judge you, and they'll always be your friend. It all started when I was twelve years old. It was July first two thousand eight, my first day working as a volunteer at a summer camp with children from ages three to six. I had such a great time that day of camp. All of the children were immediately drawn to me, and I had such a great day. That night when I was getting ready for bed, I replayed the entire day in my head over and over again. How much the kids laughed when you tickled them, their spacey smiles when they looked up to hold your hand, and the way they walked through the doors with excitement. It made me remember all of the good times I had when I was young, and I felt like I was five years old again playing on the playground with my friends. Thats when I realized that I wanted to be a preschool teacher.

I decided then that I needed to make a plan. The beginning of my plan started with widening my experience with children. I thought it would be good to continue working at the summer camp. I figured that if I kept doing it until it was time for me to go to high school, that I would become a counselor somewhere in that period of time. Becoming a counselor would give me more experience with kids, which would help me tremendously in reaching my goal. Also, becoming a counselor would mean that I would get money for working there, and it will help me to save money toward college so I could take an even further step in reaching my goal.

During high school, I found classes which will also help me with reaching my goal. For freshman year I am going to take an elective called “careers with children.” this will help me get the feel of how life will hopefully be for me in the future. Having this class everyday for a year will really effect the way I work with kids and the knowledge I have about them. Once I get further into high school I can join a program in which I actually hands on teach a class with some of my peers. Despite the fact that I already have hands on experience with children, this could help me even more. In this program we teach a class as if we were the students teachers. The only difference is that were not certified. In the summer program that i work at, we only play with the kids and do arts and crafts, which is a completely different situation involving children.

Even though being a preschool teacher is years ahead of me, I'm ready to work now so I can succeed. Just as long as I have a good head on my shoulders and stick with what I'm aiming for, i think that ill have a good shot at doing whatever I set my mind too. No matter what life throws at me, ill find a way to get through it. Even if in ten years my life doesn't turn out how I always expected it to be, ill never regret anything. Someday I will find out how ill look, where I am at, and what I am doing, and when that day comes ill be fully prepared, but in the mean time, I am still ready to live my life.

This assignment made me realize how much I really want to succeed, but I also learned that I am only fourteen. I still have time to grow and think about the future. There's so many things that I love to do, and I want to spend my time enjoying them. I think that becoming a teacher and working with kids will truly be a great experience. Its going to be a long journey but I am ready for whatever happens to come my way.