Our Society vs. the Hunger Games | Teen Ink

Our Society vs. the Hunger Games

September 13, 2010
By Lauren B BRONZE, KC, MO, Kansas
Lauren B BRONZE, KC, MO, Kansas
2 articles 0 photos 3 comments

Would you permanently alter yourself for beauty? People in the world and in the Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins alter their looks because they are obsessed with beauty. Although characters in the Hunger Games alter their bodies, people around the world today take more extreme beauty measures to look younger and more attractive.


Characters in the Hunger Games alter their looks minimally compared to the people in the United States today. For example, characters in the Hunger Games dye their skin green. Just as people in the Hunger Games dye their skin, so too people in the U.S. “dye” their skin with tattoos. In addition people in the world today sit in tanning beds for different time periods depending on how dark they want their skin to be. People in our society developed the statement “no pain no gain” to say that in order to be beautiful one must first experience pain.

In the Hunger Games, people altered themselves for fashion. However, in some countries people are forced to change their looks to obtain a job. In China, people have doctors break their legs and put in metal pins so they will be taller. Whereas in the Hunger Games, people just have to be from the right place, such as District 2 or the Capitol to obtain the jobs that they want. Just as China has some exotic surgeries, so too people in the U.S. alter their bodies.

Did you know that the number of people getting abdominoplasty or “tummy tucks” has increased by eighty-four percent from the year 2000 to today? Abdominoplasty has been on the top five plastic surgeries list since 2005.People get Abdominoplasty because they want to be thinner. Abdominoplasty is a surgery that people have to get more attractive, and it is not without risk of detriment.
Another way people artificially change their bodies is breast implants. According to American Society of Plastic Surgeons breast implants is the most commonly performed cosmetic surgery in the United States. This surgery is done by artificially enlarging the tissue around the breasts. This surgery could result in infections and blood clots that are life threatening. Women get breast implants to look more attractive and youthful.

Not only do people get surgeries on their breasts, more than that they get facelifts. Facelifts remove excess facial skin, with or without the tightening of underlying tissues, and are completed by redraping of the skin on the patient's face and neck. This procedure allows a person to appear ten years younger than his or hers stated age.

Characters in the Hunger Games and people in the world alter their bodies for multiple reasons. Whether to obtain a job, be more attractive, or appear more youthful there are multiple surgeries people use to conform to society’s demands. In fifty years the U.S. will have an 80% increase in Americans altering their bodies for beauty. This incline has probably already started to evolve. In the year 2060 it will be almost impossible to preclude cosmetic and other surgeries from being done. In fifty years will you still be able to recognize your neighbor?


The author's comments:
I was inspired to write this piecefrom an in class assignment, but when I got into it it awakened me. As I got more information I realized that the world today has more extreme beauty measures than any author, like Suzanne Collins ,can ever create anything more extreme than our world today.