America Following Ancient Greece's Decline? | Teen Ink

America Following Ancient Greece's Decline?

By ForeverSweetheart GOLD, Safford, Arizona
ForeverSweetheart GOLD, Safford, Arizona

"Babe, do what you have to do." -- Ryan M.
"I like nonsense; it wakes up the brain cells." -- Dr. Seuss
"Put him in the taffy puller!"
"Taffy puller?!"
"Hey! That was my idea!" -- Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

The United States is not following in the footsteps of ancient Rome’s decline. Ancient Rome had many, many, many slaves behind them, and in their military. This was their first problem. America has volunteers for the army. We have less of a poverty level, and there is help for those who are living in poverty. Finally, we have a more developed government that doesn’t involve dictatorship. America is far from following in the footsteps of ancient Rome.

It is very important that America does not have slaves because it’s not right to take away the rights of another human for the benefit of having a strong army, or for any other reason that has an argument behind it. Plus, it’s just easier to let everyone be free to be who they are rather than block them down by pretty much telling people they’re less than any of the rest of us. In all reality, it’s not just having a large army that is important, but it’s also important to have a loyal army. I think having people who volunteer to be in the army to fight against others for their country is important because it’s enough to motivate the soldiers to fight for what they want rather than being forced to fight because they were pushed out the door. In fact, your army is more prone to be betrayed if you don’t have an army that is loyal to the cause behind why they’re fighting.

Equilibrium in the infrastructure of the social ladder is important. In my opinion, that means that there are more people that are living comfortably rather than living in poverty, or straight up starving to death. America has less poverty than Rome by a long shot, and the people that are living in poverty have opportunities to get help so they can build a better life for themselves. There’s social security for the people who have disabilities, and there’s insurance for everyone who is willing to pay or work for it. In all reality, America is where people come to escape poverty in their last country, and there are countries that are plain awful in comparison to America. The people in America are allowed to exercise whatever religion they want, with the slight exception of cannibalism and other religions that involve murdering and/or possibly eating other people. However, in Rome people practiced humanism, or the belief that everything was created by humans, and so on and so forth. Those who had the courage to stand up against this took the risk of being fed to the lions. There were very few who came to Rome to escape poverty and exercise their faith.

Finally, America’s government is far better than ancient Rome’s, in my opinion anyway. American government offers the opportunity for both men and women to vote, and this creates a window for everyone above the age of eighteen to voice their opinion. The American government has two parties to choose from for the president. The Republicans and Democrats. This creates choice between two completely different views, and very widely the opportunity to be heard by everyone. Then, people elect every person who is in the government. The government in America is very complex, until you can really take the time and learn about it. The ancient Romans however had dictatorship after dictatorship, and then there was always only one view of government for the people, and what they should do. That one way being Republican Party.

America is not on the way to following in the footsteps of ancient Rome’s decline because America has a better military, social structure, and government than ancient Rome. Today America offers many opportunities for those who are willing to put out the effort, and people are offered the greatest privilege of freewill in government and freedom in religion. America is a place where people come to start a new life without being under the rule of dictatorship. America is the place people go to be free.