Music Education | Teen Ink

Music Education

By VM709 DIAMOND, Ormond Beach, Florida
VM709 DIAMOND, Ormond Beach, Florida

" I will never be what you want from me "

“Music is a magical art form..... But once music enters the air, it becomes pure, free sound. Music travels the world without a passport... Music teachers are passionate about awakening student’s musicality. These teachers are ready to guide kids to pursuing music careers – but they also enjoy helping all students have fun , develop discipline and enrich their lives by learning to play music.“ Music education in schools not long ago was a dying breed. It was deemed unimportant and too expensive but research and studies have brought the flower back to life. Music education is now one of the most lucrative and sought out careers especially for those pursuing a career in a music field. I personally want to pursue a career as a music teacher in order to help students develop a lifelong passion for something bigger than themselves just as I have.

What is Music Education? Music Education is compileing musicianship skills and training into teaching a classroom. Students will develop  under a Music Educator skills in music  theory, composition, general musicianship, music history, arranging, orchestrating, improvising, conducting, and music performance. Music education in simple terms is applying all the schemas and concepts you have learned through out your life and applying them to music in order to teach and inspire a class or a student in the vigor’s of music  One of the main things that has changed in the Music Education field is the diversity which is entering classrooms. Schools are no longer made of Christians of the white male race now classrooms have all religions and both male and female white and black. . Music educators and those who study music theory are often looked down upon in the school system regarding their value and importance. A main problem with today’s Music Education career is the curriculum in classrooms they are criticized for lacking academic respectability so teachers are being told to teach more ' about ' music itself. This blocks the creative integreity of those involved in the making of music.  One of the main things students will do is assimilate information where they later will use it. It is said in this book that “the central aim of music education is to  engage pupils in practical activities through which they will come to learn and utilize the procedures of the discipline. In this way they develop musical thinking and a sense of musicianship “. It is said by Dorothy Taylor that a music teacher should “pave the way or the learner’s aesthetic response and musical feeling by his own behavior as a musician. Ideally he must perform the simplest song with the same care, musicianship and sense of occasion as he would a Beethoven violin sonata. “The main thing about being a music teacher however isn’t musicianship; it’s about being a good teacher.  I choose this field because I want to be able to create a renewed passion for music in the school system and no longer have it looked down upon as a hobby or something unimportant compared to the core curriculum.

The degree I need from DSC to start my path towards my major is a general AA degree.  I plan on getting this by the end of my senior year in high school by taking both college and high school courses. My intended program of study is Music Education after I receive this AA degree and while it is not limited it is selective with an audition process required to show talent and potential.  After my two years at Daytona State College it will take me four more years to receive my Music Education degree and I will receive my masters upon graduation. After audition the classes which make up this course are mainly going to be centered around vocal, instrumental, and conducting philosophies and theories.

Music runs in my blood and soul. Since I was a child I’ve been composing music and singing faithfully. I’ve been learning piano and guitar since my freshman year of high school and have been taking vocal instruction since my freshman year of middle school. Music is what I’m passionate about, but also I am passionate about helping people. I am a very creative person and I am dedicated to my passion as well as helping others find their own. This is why I want to teach others; in order to help and guide them towards what they are zealous about.

So what happens when you finish a Music Education major? According to ORU's music education guidelines upon completing the major one will be able to manage a classroom, enhance cognitive development using varying strategies in their desired age range, and be able to develop an organized teaching outline. Also upon completing your major one must join The National Association for Music Education and to be skilled and have mastered 5 instruments with a basic outline of the rest.

So what does it take to get into a Music Education program? According to Stetson's music education program one must apply by sending in a transcript, letters of recommendation, and a resume of musical back ground and audition into the program.  However if one makes it through the program it has a great job placement rate and an approximate salary of 55, 000 dollars a year if teaching in the public school system.

All in all I have learned about my major that it is both a rigorous and intensive field but it can also be rewarding. I have also learned that it is selective and one needs both talent, hard work , and passion in order to make it through to the end. What I have learned most however is to chase after what you stand for despite the obstacles that may stand in your way ; whether these obstacles are program selectivity or trouble learning we all must overcome them to reach our dreams. As said by Langston Hughes “ If dreams die life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly. “