Drunk Driving | Teen Ink

Drunk Driving

November 17, 2015
By diamoner BRONZE, Plaquemine, Louisiana
diamoner BRONZE, Plaquemine, Louisiana
4 articles 0 photos 3 comments

A life is too precious to be taken away by a drunk driver, so why not take this seriously.
Drunk driving isn’t cool, but we shouldn’t make the limit of alcohol consumption that low. The person who weighs 100 pounds can consumes 12oz of beer before being over the legal limit to drive. But if 180 or 200 pound person consumes 12oz of beer it would feel like water. But it takes at least 3 servings of beer to be over the legal limit to drive for a 180-pound person. So if the drinking limit were pushed too low then that means people wouldn’t care to even bother to think about drunk driving because even if one beer were consumed the legal limit would be over. The law shouldn’t be change; it should be edit to say the legal limit is based off of the persons weight.
Nearly 30 people die everyday from drunk driving. That means this should be first priority. In the last 30 years, more than 440,000 people have perished in this country due to alcohol-impaired driving. Lowering the rate to 0.05 would save about 500 to 800 lives annually, the safety board said. By doing that, results may happen, but look at the big picture if it’s lowered too low, a people will just keep driving regardless, so why not make the law be specific to the weight of the person and it’s not discriminating its stating facts for the sake of other people lives.