We Are the Murderers | Teen Ink

We Are the Murderers

By maya_kowalczyk BRONZE, York, Other
maya_kowalczyk BRONZE, York, Other

Read this article to find out what you can do to save the critically endangered sea turtles

I once travelled to Greece to see my grandpa. I remember running up the hill and looking down into the sea. I could see fish swimming in the crystal-clear water. On the shore, just in the distance, you could see a sea turtle family resting in the shade of a palm tree. I asked my grandpa what type of turtles they were. He said they were hawksbill sea turtles, he could tell by the stunning shell. We later went to this beautiful restaurant. While skimming the menu, something shocked me. “Hawksbill turtle eggs with a side platter of our special cheese selection” the menu read.

I was heartbroken.

A few years later, I started researching about these gorgeous creatures. They have been an endangered species since the 1970’s and no one has done anything to help save them. There are places all over the world where Hawksbill turtle eggs are collected from sandy beaches and eaten. This means that less and less turtle hatch every year. They are also killed for their shells as well as their flesh.

These turtles are by far the most predator vulnerable. Many animals eat them: birds, fish, snakes, lizards, crocodiles and even raccoons. Hawksbill turtles avoid deep waters. They prefer coastlines where sea sponges are common and where beaches (ideal for nesting) are within reach. Because they swim around in shallow waters, it gives their predators an easy way to seize them.

If the sea turtles went extinct, seagrass would eventually die off, affect marine life, and soon start to affect human life.

Another threat to these creatures, is fishing equipment. Sea turtles come out of water to be able to breathe. While doing this, they get caught in fishing nets and cant’ get some air. Then they die from lack of oxygen.

Let us not forget the main problem, which affects all marine life.                                                                                                        

Plastic.

Tiny pieces of plastic get into the turtle’s digestive systems and these pieces are often sharp which mean it can kill the turtle from the inside and the turtle experience a slow and painful death.

You can help in many ways. One way is to adopt a turtle on sites like WWF where the money you donate not only helps fund their projects but also support vital work around the world. It is estimated that only one in 1000 turtles make it to adulthood. With your help, all turtles could hopefully make it to adulthood

You can make a change. 

this piece is about sea turtles which are endangered and helping you fuind ways to help them.