All 3 Slots | Teen Ink

All 3 Slots

By MinecraftDude32 BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
MinecraftDude32 BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin

In hebrew my name means “he laughs.” Smooth silk met with a jagged edge. Grey through the day turns to light blue after school. My name is like a freshly paved sidewalk. A sidewalk that had an air conditioning unit dropped on it from an apartment window above, making a large dent. 

In the bible Isaac is a miracle child, son of Abraham and Sarah. They were visited by three heavenly beings and Abraham was told he would have a son within the year. My first and middle name are out of the bible. I find that ironic. I am not a religious person. I am definitely more of a realist. Isaac has the eyes of a realist but dreams big.

My name fits in all three name slots, first, middle, last. 

My name is like a sandwich because it can be made for any meal of the day. If Isaac were a color it would be a light shade of blue because although common it is still special.

Some names I almost went by include: Marques, Sterling, and Mary (if I were a girl).Sports impacted my father’s selections for my name. Marques was his favorite basketball player and Sterling was a great Packer. 

I believe my name fits—sort of. But I simultaneously want a new one. I also feel like names don’t matter at all. They are just labels that are used to make us individuals and distinguish one person from another.

This piece was written during a composition course. The assignment was to write about my first name and express my opinion and the back story of it.