Micah: A Truly Unique Name | Teen Ink

Micah: A Truly Unique Name

By 2west BRONZE, Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
2west BRONZE, Oconomowoc, Wisconsin

It’s not like Michael or Miguel or Mike. Not as formal as Micheal, but also not as boring as Mike. A simple name that carries a complex story. Similar to some works of jazz. It can be simple sounding, but behind the page, it’s a complex and delicate string of notes. Unique every time it’s played. 

In 2003 my mother came upon my name. She said it was an epiphany.  My mom is pretty religious. Once Lutheran and now Catholic. She at one time made the devotion as a missionary when I was younger. It apparently came to her out of the blue. She told me I’m named after the Biblical prophet Micah, meaning “Who is like God?”  

I like the name. When the name comes to mind I think of a certain type of person. Micahs are the quiet guy in the room. The one who keeps to themselves. Intelligently just being in the moment and taking everything in. Not alone. Inside there is a warm charismatic atmosphere with a close group of friends. Living through a journey, keeping positive people close. The man in the background, appreciated by the close looking eye. 

Micah is a quiet Wednesday evening. Rain drizzling from the cold and grayed out sky. The rain comes to a stop, and the sun starts to peek out of the mountains of clouds. Rays pierce the clouds as the sun now begins to set. Yellow brightness becomes orange and red. Smeared on a canvas across the heavens. Colors are so vivid, the deepest scarlett, blending with the orange, illuminating the puffy, delicate clouds and perfectly contrasting the darkening blue sky. Silence, an ambient peace. Finally, the sun silently goes to sleep. 

Smooth and bright and quiet in the moment. Like stars at night. No one really sees the stars, most see a quiet, dark sky. But the stars are there, dotting the sky. Creating a sparkling work of art. Stars are quiet, twinkling in the night. But as one gets closer they become more spectacular, they have character. Light years away they appear as quiet, floating peacefully through space and time. But close to them, they are warm, burning with intense heat. Illuminating the darkness of space. Each one carrying a complex story as old as time. Micah is in the background. But closer you learn about the person. Like the stars, they are just there, and admired by the ones who look up. 

This is a small piece of writing on what the name Micah sounds like to me.