Various Types of Art | Teen Ink

Various Types of Art

May 27, 2021
By taehyeon SILVER, Tirana, Other
taehyeon SILVER, Tirana, Other
6 articles 0 photos 0 comments

   There are so many art and art techniques. I love art so I decided to do some research about it. There are different types of art such as composition art, cubism art, Iconography, Pop art, Conceptual art and Performance art.   
   Composition art is the arrangement or placement of visual elements in a piece of artwork. It is important because it shapes the viewer’s experience of the artwork (“What is Composition in Art?”). It is a big part of what makes a piece eye catching and dynamic, or calm, or disorienting and off kilter. Pieces with a symmetrical composition tend to feel very calming, while asymmetrical pieces feel more dynamic. One part of the piece might have more going on, or more visual weight, which draws your eye to that part (“What is Composition in Art?”). I personally feel this artwork is so balanced and I like it a lot. 
   Cubism art is usually objecting or figures together in the same picture, resulting in paintings that appear fragmented and abstracted. Cubism is an early-20th century art movement that revolutionized European painting and sculpture, and inspired related movements in music, literature and architecture. It has been considered the most influential art movement of the 20th century (“What is cubism in art?”). First time I saw this type of art was in Korea, when I was in school trip with my class. We went to the art museum in Seoul.  
   Iconography art is a particular range or system of types of images used by an artist or artists to convey meanings. It studies the identification, description, and the interpretation of the content of images. The subjects depicted, the compositions and details used to do so, and other elements that are distinct from artistic style (“Iconography”). I have seen this type of art in      internet for the first time, but I personally don’t like it that much. 
   Pop art is easy and fun to understand by quoting familiar cartoons, advertisements, products, celebrities, etc. Pop art is an art movement that emerged in the United Kingdom and the United States during the mid- to late-1950s (“Media and Culture”). I personally think this type of art is fancy. 
Conceptual art is artist's idea or concept is more important than its appearance or execution. It emerged as an art movement in the 1960s and the term usually refers to art made from the mid-1960s to the mid-1970s. It can be and can look like almost anything. This is because, unlike a painter or sculptor who will think about how best they can express their idea using paint or sculptural materials and techniques. A conceptual artist uses whatever materials and whatever form is most appropriate to putting their idea across ("Conceptual art"). I found this type of art very interesting. 
Performance art is an art form that combines visual art with dramatic performance. It covers a broad spectrum of artists and styles, but performance artists in general share the ideal of producing art which challenges traditional understandings of theater (“Art and Art History”). I saw this type of art in Korea. I went to the theater with my family. I like it a lot. 
To conclude there are several types of arts and each has its own characteristics. For example, composition art is balanced. Cubism art is fragmented and abstracted. I think they are amazing. Through this opportunity, I learned more about art forms.