A brief analysis of gender - from Generation Z to you | Teen Ink

A brief analysis of gender - from Generation Z to you

September 29, 2021
By lana_olivv BRONZE, Salvador, Other
lana_olivv BRONZE, Salvador, Other
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

  Dear adults, many controversial discussions have arisen based on the idea of gender. No matter what your opinion on this subject is, it is fundamental that we acknowledge that gender is a social construct and not directly linked to morality. 

  Firstly, it is important to address that gender is different from sex. Sex refers to the biological attributes determined by birth, such as chromosomes, reproductive organs, and other features. When gender refers to the socially constructed attributes related to genders such as female and male. Consequently, the discussion surrounding identity revolves around sociology, not biology. Wich invalidates the argument that people who believe in gender fluidity don't believe in science. 

   What makes gender a social construct is that it was created after human interactions, therefore different societies have different ideas of what the concept means. Proof of this relies on societies that recognize more than two genders as the standard, some examples are the Muxes (Mexico), two-spirit (North American Navajo culture), the Sekrata in Madagascar, and many others. 

   In western culture, gender identity is still seen as a taboo and the rate of violent acts towards gender non-conformative individuals keeps growing due to intolerance and biases. These sorts of acts are considered as crimes in many countries already, but humanity is still far from achieving equal rights and safety to all. Therefore, it is urgent that we recognize that change is necessary and can only be reached by educating society and dismantling biases. So please, to protect the youth, open your mind and listen to what our hearts and brains have to say.

Sincerely,
Gen Z.


The author's comments:

  I am a 16yo genderfluid Brazilian activist pursuing my dreams. "What dreams"? you might be asking yourself. I dream that one day my education will make me able to help me reach out to more people and be able to help them, not that I can't make a difference right now, but the opportunities in my reach can't cause a large impact. I hope someday I'll be able to help teens from communities who have a burning passion and work hard but have little to no opportunities.
  The most I can do for now is volunteer and help occasionally with my own initiatives, but I know someday that'll change, and when that day comes I'll do my best to make the old me and my community proud.