The color Yellow | Teen Ink

The color Yellow

By 3scaffidi SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
3scaffidi SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin

The color Yellow. The color Yellow bounces off the walls with joy and happiness. If the color Yellow was a person, she would be a great friend. Yellow always puts others first and never thinks about herself, although that isnt always the best thing for Yellow.

The color Yellow always seems like a happy color, bright and cheerful, the color of the sun, most of the time she's the color that represents happiness itself. Yet, Yellow isn't always the happiest. Yellow has a tendency to hide what she is feeling. She pretends. She pretends that she is the happiest color of all, but that is far from true. 

Most of the other colors have a hatred towards Yellow, she never tries and she always seems to be perfect, which makes Yellow hate being Yellow. And while all the colors are envious of her, she is envious of the color Red. 

Red, he is bold, brave, and strong. He doesn't have to be thinking of anyone else, he enjoys having fun yet he isn't put up to the standard of Yellow. Red can still have rage and anger, he doesn't have to put on a happy face when he is upset. Yellow wishes that she could be just like Red. 

All of the other colors try to push Yellow away. They blame Yellow for not being happy. If Yellow gets to keep all the happiness for herself then why would we be nice to her, she clearly has everything she could ever want, right? Yellow slowly starts to break. She tries to continue being happy, she has to be happy. 

Yellow wishes she could be friends with the other colors, she knows that she would make an amazing friend, but whenever she tries to be nice, the other colors turn away. Yellow cracks again. 

All of this sadness and anger builds up into Yellow. She starts to hate the other colors. They have never been nice. Slowly the balance tips and Yellow is left without her happiness. Why could they never be nice to me, I tried so hard to be their friend. Yellow is only left with anger and sadness, as all of her built up emotions broke her happiness.

The other colors start to panic as Yellow turns grey. How could they live without Yellow, she created all happiness for others, and they could never see it. The other colors realize what they have done, they caused this sadness and emptiness in Yellow.

Red, the bold brave color, walks up to what once was Yellow and hugs her. The other colors join in and slowly her color starts to emerge. Yet, she cries, and they let her.

Sometimes the happiest people on the outside have the most sadness on the inside. You never know what's going on in someone's life until you ask. Always be sure to ask the Yellow in your life how they are doing. Yellow isn't always happy.

This piece is supposed to show the other side of a perfect person. A lot of times someone who is always "happy" actually has a lot going on in their life.