My Name | Teen Ink

My Name

January 20, 2022
By Lilywakefield20 BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
Lilywakefield20 BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

My name was my Great Grandmother’s. Although I never met her, my mom tells many great stories. My mom was a gymnast, and loved spending weekends at her Grandma Lily’s house. She would play “The Floor is Lava,” doing cartwheels and tricks throughout the living room. But Great Grandma Lily would not complain one bit.


It is the name of a flower, white and soft. like the Lily flowers my parents and I plant in our yard every summer. It can be said in a second; short and fast. Like me. I am constantly told to slow down by many, but I prefer my quick pace. 


Some believe my name is white, blue, and calm like an ocean. But , I am afraid of the ocean. Its contents are beautiful, but horrifying. Scientists have not even discovered all of the ocean. Yet, I have not discovered all of myself either. I am only 17 and have a whole future ahead of me. 


The future is scary, but I am excited for it. You are going to be seeing my name, LILY, on ESPN. Sports Manager of the Year. My name is going to go through hundreds of positions before I reach the top. 


I don't really have a fun nickname, unless you take the Y off, and change my name to Lil. Although, I really like the Y in my name. It is different from the rest of the letters. When made lower case, the I and L’s all look the same. The Y sticks out from the rest no matter what type of lettering is being used.


Lily, a very common name, does not always need to be common. 


I am not common. There is only one of me.


The author's comments:

This is about the origin of my name