Abby Sunderland And Family Gets Portrayed By The Media | Teen Ink

Abby Sunderland And Family Gets Portrayed By The Media

January 20, 2022
By Annaseh BRONZE, Goshen, Ohio
Annaseh BRONZE, Goshen, Ohio
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Have you ever wondered what it would be like for the media to portray you and your family? Abby Sunderland attempted a solo trip around the world. The media decided to call the Sunderland family fools because of the choice they made of risking her life. The media called the parents irresponsible for risking their daughter's life on a trip around the world. The media called the Sunderland parents careless. The media portrays Abby and her family in many different ways. 

       First, the media decided to call the Sunderland family fools because of the choice they made of risking her life. In the title of the second article it says, “Ship of Fools."  This shows how Abby and her family were called fools.  Not only does the media portray Abby and her family this way, but they also show them as, calling the parents irresponsible for risking their daughter's life on a trip around the world.

      Secondly, the media called the parents irresponsible for risking their daughter's life on a trip around the world.   In “Parents of Teenage Sailor Abby Sunderland Accused of Risking Her Life” it says, “Such opinions by professionals have been echoed on blogs and news articles as members of the public have called the Sunderlands irresponsible" (Spg 24). This shows how the media called the Sunderland family irresponsible.   Not only does the media portray Abby and her family this way, but they also show them as the media calling Abby’s parents careless.

     Next, the media called the Sunderland parents careless. In “Parents of Teenage Sailor Abby Sunderland Accused of Risking Her Life” it says, “ Better yet, we could give up a culture that treats accomplishment as a race and turns risk into its own reward” ( Spg 22). This shows that the media called the Sunderland parents careless for risking their daughter's life, and allowing her on a solo trip around the world. The media portrays Abby and her family in many ways.

     Last, the media portrays Abby and her family in many different ways. The media decided to call the Sunderland family fools because of the choice they made of risking her life. The media called the parents irresponsible for risking their daughter's life on a trip around the world. The media called the Sunderland parents careless. Abby was brave enough to go out on her own but she could have hurt herself or even possibly been killed on her journey. So now, how would you feel if the media portrayed you and/or your family? What would you do?                                                              
 
 


The author's comments:

16 year old, Abby Sunderland goes on solo sail trip around the world. She looses her navigation system in the middle of the Indian Ocean. The media starts to potray Abby and her family.