What's your name | Teen Ink

What's your name

“What’s Your Name?”

Ethan. Hebrew in origin meaning strong, safe, solid, or firm. Yet, my parents aren’t from a Hebrew background. Nor did they know if I was to grow up to be strong or firm. 

I was named Ethan simply because my mother liked names that start with “E.” My older sister is named Emma. The letter “E” has so many other options. My grandma always had a firm love for the name Edward while my dad always had a strong want for the name, Nathan. So, they compromised.

My name reminds me of a strong, tall, and gated wall. Strong, viking-like, sturdy, and great in height. Like lighting. Like thunder. Like the great Trojan wall from the Greek times. A strong barrier that inside holds a magnificent place—but with its faults of course. 

The wall outlines my strength physically and mentally. A wall can always of course be destroyed, but this wall is thick and has great strength. Being a part of the game for baseball for so long has given me these qualities. I have learned how to be mentally strong, and how to block out negatives as well. It is why I think Ethan was a perfect fit. Strong. Safe. Firm. Three words to describe me mentally and in a physical aspect.

I have been given, earned, and unluckily been called a plentiful variety of names. However,  out of this bucket of options, only a few nicknames have actually stuck with me. These would be; Hoodie, Tiktok, Eth, and E. Eth and E are clear to how I received them as they are just shortened versions of my first name.

Hoodie is my most common nickname. Most people don’t truly understand the base reason it comes from when first hearing it when it is simply derived from the fact that I am normally never seen not wearing a sweatshirt or Hoodie. I have quite a vast collection of hoodies which I wear almost every day during the fall, winter, and spring. 

All in all, the uniqueness and diversity of names our world has, holds all types of meanings and ways they were chosen. Ethan has its own personal, unique story that not many others would also have. It represents a strong, tall, and sturdy wall that holds together a strong physical and mental state.

This article refers to my name, how I got it, and what is behind it.