A boy's next journey | Teen Ink

A boy's next journey

By exuseetim GOLD, Boca Raton, Florida
exuseetim GOLD, Boca Raton, Florida

Accompanying by a resonant whistle, the game is over. Two adolescents, Tim and Asher, head toward the bench, sitting down and whispering to each other.
Tim: Wow, it is a really tough game. We almost lost it!
Asher: I bet it.
Tim: Thanks for that fantastic pass. I won't score without your assistance.
Asher: That's called cooperation, man. You got this.
Tim: There you go. Asher, you wanna go home together?
Asher: I can't. My father will pick me up. We kinda need to discuss my plan for high school. What about you? Gotta any thoughts?
Tim: Not really, I mean. Haven't got the chance to talk about it to my parents. I remember that you are going to United······
Asher: States. Not Kingdom this time! Why don't you talk about this to your parents? I mean, we can go abroad together. Taking care of each other, you know. This is gonna be pretty awesome. We can play soccer together. Also, their schools don't care about your grade at all. No such pressure and we can make some foreign friends. Just imagine it!
Tim: Sure. I will talk about this to them, but you know, I screw the finals up. They probably won't have the mood to talk about this.
With a raucous sound from a robust man, Asher goes out of the field and gets into a crimson limousine.

Wang, a middle-aged woman, hearing Tim outside the door, calls with eagerness: How was the test going?
Tim: It's good。
Wang: So why don't you show me the report card?
Tim, without any hesitation: I forget it at school.
Wang: All right, dinner is ready.
The dining table is full of savoury dishes. The smell penetrates the wall and infiltrates into the air.
Ding, a short and solid middle-aged man with a shining golden belt, keeps talking on the phone: All right, we will talk this further, all right? I have to now, see you.
Wang: How was the business? Did everything go well today?
Ding: Not good at all. The freight price went down a little bit and I had to take care of all of the affairs. And there was a woman who drove so slow ahead of me on the highway, and I couldn't overtake her.
Wang: Not that bad. Did you go pay for the fine?
Ding: I forget it. I will do it tomorrow.
Wang, turning her head toward Tim: Why are you not eating? Do you not like it? I spend hours preparing for it. Look at the crinkles on the rids; those are the finest at the supermarket. It's very nutritious. For no reason, you tell me you don't like it. All of them should be eaten.
Tim, immediately picks up a rib and heads toward Ding: Dad, have you thought about where I am going for high school?
Ding: Oh, yes. Mom and I went to some schools early today, just after dropping you off. It is a lovely school with excellent teachers and facilities. You're gonna love it.
Tim: Where is it?
Ding: It's like 10 miles away.
Tim: I don't like it. I want to go abroad, just like Asher.
Ding: Have we not talked about this before? You are not going anywhere. Deal done.
Tim: Why can't I?
Ding: Just stop talking about Asher. They got money and we don't. That's the reason, understand?
Tim, talks in a rising tone: So where do you get that belt?
Ding: Watch your tone! There is no way you talk to me like that.
After several seconds of silence,
Wang, standing up and heading to Tim, with a patient tone: Dear, your dad is not having a good one. Just don't care about it. We want you to be with us just like most of the parents. You are gonna go to a nice college in the town, get a stable job and marry someone you love. If you get any trouble, you can just come to us and we will help you fix it. Isn't that just so great?
Tim: Mom, this is not what I want. Why can't you understand what I want?
Wang: You are just so young. There are so many things you can't understand. Listen, dad and I know how hard it will be for a child like you to go abroad, studying on your own without anyone to rely on.
Tim: No. Asher will come with me. We will take care of each other well.
Wang: It's not the same as you think, darling. Why don't we finish the dinner first, and we will discuss this further.
Tim: Why can't you listen to what I think? Can't I have any autonomy on my own? I am not that childish boy anymore. This is my life and I know what is the best for me. Why can't you just stay for a while and listen to what I want? Asher's parents are always supporting him no matter what. Why········
A phone call breaks the interrogations and Ding picks it: Hi, It's Ding here. Okay, how much do they offer?
Tim, stands up and growls toward Ding:Why can't you just listen to me? Forget your stupid business?
Ding, hangs up the phone and responds angrily: Watch your tone! There is no···········
With the creaking and slamming of a door, the whole room appears to be empty except for two reticent creatures.

Sun fades out, moon appears with the minimal and brightest light of the world. Conversations are still going in the room.
Wang: I do think we should listen to him. He is not that little boy anymore. He knows what he wants.
Ding, sitting silently. Wang continues her words.
Wang: All right, if you don't want him to leave in high school. University will be good. He will be an adult at that time and I am sure he can take good care of himself at that time. I have looked up some schools that offer international education and he will have a good preparation over here. The matriculation, facilities, and teachers are all great.
Ding, with only remaining resistance: Okay, we will talk to him later. Will Tim be okay with this decision?
Beside the door, a boy smiles with tears, seeming utterly ready to take on his new journey.

Tim:An upcoming high school student.

Ding:Tim’s dad

Wang:Tim’s mom

Asher: Tim’s friend