My name Emily | Teen Ink

My name Emily

By 4Newmane GOLD, Nashotah, Wisconsin
4Newmane GOLD, Nashotah, Wisconsin

My name, basic as can be. Emily. It Comes from the Latin origin meaning “Rival” or “Hardworking” and originated from the Roman name Aemilia. Emily Reminds me of the smell of amber and vanilla on a crisp Autumn morning, with a cup of warm coffee in my hand. different shades of reds, pinks, and blues painted across the sky. Peaceful and relaxing.

Emily is one of the most common names throughout English speaking countries. a classic, simple, pretty name that many people share with me. That's why I don’t think it fits me. I have a unique personality and don’t think the name Emily truly expresses that,I have unique qualities like being outgoing and being funny. I really enjoy getting what I have to have done, done as soon as possible and enjoy being efficient. I wish my name was something original and expressive. The thing that truly keeps me unique is my middle name. It is not Elizabeth, Rose, or Marie. It is Mattea, the Spanish female version of my fathers name. That is why I am okay with having a basic first name because there is always something to set me apart.

When I think of my name, I always think of my family. And how my original name was Lucille before I was born because she was my mothers favorite person, which was my great-grandmother's name. And then it changed after I was born to Emily. I would have been happy as Lucille for a good reason, my great-grandmother was an amazing person and I would have been honored to be named after her. She was the most forgiving and trusting person ever. When someone messed up in their life she would never hold it against them, and she only saw the best in everyone. Honoring her name would have been amazing. 

When I was younger I was completely different. All I wanted to do was change my name to something cooler and more unique to make me feel more special and cool. But now realizing how it was picked out, and the joy it gave my parents when everything really sank in for them and the fact that it made them so happy has made me truly want to keep it forever. 

Emily, Reminds me of a cozy blanket. Comforting and warm. It makes me think of fall and how excited I get for the crisp air and the fun activities. Making apple pies with my family, going to haunted houses, carving pumpkins, and enjoying my favorite season. It reminds me of the happy times I have and makes me think of how much the people in my life have truly affected me. If I had to choose my name or any other name, I would still choose mine. It is the name my loving, caring, supportive parents chose and I like to think of it that way. It is the name I will honor out of respect for my family. My name is basic, yes, but I am not. I have many qualities that are unlike anyone else. And my name does not justify who I am.