Lipstick | Teen Ink

Lipstick

By Genevieve BRONZE, Chicago, Illinois
Genevieve BRONZE, Chicago, Illinois

"Being born is like being kidnapped. And then sold into slavery."

Ever since I was younger, I was fascinated by lipstick. I would see the women in the movies that took place in the 1940's, there lips all red and big. I don't know why I liked it. Something about it was just beautiful. All the other girls my age would be buying cheap eyeshadows, or steal their mother's mascara. When my mom went to buy her expensive makeup, I would just stare at the counter with all the different shades of lipstick. Sometimes, I would dig in my bathroom cabinet, where my mom kept her makeup, and pull out the pretty shade of red that my eyes had ever seen. Slowly, I put it on my lips, making sure to get it on perfectly. Sometimes, I would just put it on, and stare at myself in the mirror.

But it's too weird for a girl my age to wear lipstick. I'm fourteen now, and all the girls are wearing eyeliner, and eyeshadow, and mascara. For me, it would be too weird to walk out at my age with just lipstick on. I was never really into other makeup, but lipstick...lipsticks different. It's funny, cause nobody knows about me and lipstick. Nobody cares about it. A person would never start a rumor about how I like lipstick. To everybody, its not big enough. Even best friends don't know about me and lipstick. So to everyone else, only boys and eyeshadow is important. But to me lipstick...lipstick is important.

People need to care about the little things.

kiwi12 PLATINUM, Austin, Texas
Yes! I agree! I like lipstick! It is definitely important to the image of woman/girl and I hate that it's weird when younger girls wear it and they picture you as an old lady. UGH

Awesome piece of work!

Joanna said...
Joanna, St. Catharines, Other
I just want to thank-you for commenting on my work. It means so much to me.

I was looking at yourfavourite books and I can't tell you how excited I was to see that you like The Book Thief and I Am The Messenger. Aren't they both so beaituful? After seeing that you like those books, and reading your comment that you can relate to "A Commentary", I... I don't know... I worry. Perhaps you know what I mean.

In "I Am the Messenger", Ed says that he's not a Saint, he's "Just another stupid human." I say I'm not an angel,I'm "just another stupid human." You might say the exact same thing. But if we can't be angels, who can? I say we start the Angel Movement! I say we stop denying it and begin to show our angelic natures for real!

But maybe I'm just crazy.

I'm probably crazy.

But then again, you just might be crazy too...

Joanna said...
Joanna, St. Catharines, Other
I agree with Elisavietta. You have a wonderful writing style. It's like a wise child looking at the world with wide-eyed wonder.

I've always wanted to wear bright-red lipstick. I wanted to imitate how Claudette Colbert's looked in "It Happened One Night". The thing is, I blush a lot and very easily, and when I do, my complexion would match the lipstick. I don't think I am bold enough for lipstick.

You, however, are. So who cares if you are fourteen?! You are beautiful and you should feel that way. If lipstick makes you feel beautiful, then wear it.

Elisavietta said...
I have always wanted to wear lipstick because it symbolizes the power of a woman. Women who wear lipstick are confident and powerful in their own rite. I like your writing style. It's.....genuine.

pinksage33 BRONZE, Woodstock, New York
i like this.