Lipstick | Teen Ink

Lipstick

June 19, 2009
By Genevieve BRONZE, Chicago, Illinois
Genevieve BRONZE, Chicago, Illinois
4 articles 0 photos 9 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Being born is like being kidnapped. And then sold into slavery."


Ever since I was younger, I was fascinated by lipstick. I would see the women in the movies that took place in the 1940's, there lips all red and big. I don't know why I liked it. Something about it was just beautiful. All the other girls my age would be buying cheap eyeshadows, or steal their mother's mascara. When my mom went to buy her expensive makeup, I would just stare at the counter with all the different shades of lipstick. Sometimes, I would dig in my bathroom cabinet, where my mom kept her makeup, and pull out the pretty shade of red that my eyes had ever seen. Slowly, I put it on my lips, making sure to get it on perfectly. Sometimes, I would just put it on, and stare at myself in the mirror.


But it's too weird for a girl my age to wear lipstick. I'm fourteen now, and all the girls are wearing eyeliner, and eyeshadow, and mascara. For me, it would be too weird to walk out at my age with just lipstick on. I was never really into other makeup, but lipstick...lipsticks different. It's funny, cause nobody knows about me and lipstick. Nobody cares about it. A person would never start a rumor about how I like lipstick. To everybody, its not big enough. Even best friends don't know about me and lipstick. So to everyone else, only boys and eyeshadow is important. But to me lipstick...lipstick is important.

The author's comments:
People need to care about the little things.