Dogs | Teen Ink

Dogs

We all know that dogs are super cute animals. But did you know that dogs have a lot more benefits to them than you think? 38.4% of American households own a dog but they don't know as much about dogs as they think they do.

A lot of us probably have a dog of our own and have been taught how to take care of them, either feeding them the right amount of food, walking them for the right amount of time, or making sure you let them out every time they need to go out. In fact every dog is taken care of differently. No matter if you have pets or no pets you are taught how to take care of things.

For people who own dogs sometimes it can be a lot of work. For others that don't own dogs or do not want them they don't have to do any of the work. Regardless of having a dog or not there are things you need to know before you get one.

Imagine coming home one day and getting a dog as a surprise for your birthday. Imagine it at night your dog coming up and wanting to snuggle with you.

The people who lived during the times of early wolves, coyotes and dogs started to keep them as pets too. Nowadays there are so many different types of breeds of dogs. When you see other people who have dogs you might want one after seeing them too

Benefits of dogs

Believe it or not, there are a lot more benefits of dogs than you think. It is scientifically proven that dogs make you feel good. If you're having a bad day dogs make you feel better almost instantly. Other studies have shown that dogs put humans in more of a positive mood and make them social.

In many situations, dogs can also help you if you are feeling down or stressed out. When we interact with dogs our oxytocin levels shoot up aka a “love injection”. Dogs can even help with better health. 

If you're unlucky enough to have a sickness, dogs may be a good thing for you. In this situation, dogs are trained to do multiple things like help people with illnesses like diabetes, epilepsy, and PTSD. Many people who are blind also have a dog to help them with their walking. While many people don't exactly need a service dog, still around 800 million people have various types of service dogs. 

The most common of these dogs that are used are Labradors, Golden Retrievers, and German Shepherds. These dogs are mostly trained for 6 months but it depends on what they are needed for.

Buying and breeding

If you're looking for the perfect dog, read this and you will find out. First things first you need to know what type of dog you're looking for. Most people own big dogs but small dogs are good too. It depends on which you prefer.

For some, big dogs are easier to housebreak and smaller dogs tend to want more attention. Small and big dogs can have the same amount of health issues too. Every dog is different but the bigger the breed the shorter the lifespan is.

Now you have to think about where you want to get your dog. People recommend adopting dogs because they are in need of a home. But if you are looking for a specific type of dog, finding a trusting breeder is a good option too. There isn’t a right place to buy a dog and it depends on what dog you want to get as well.

If you're wondering when people first started breeding dogs it surprisingly was a long time ago. “Studies have shown that they were bred between 12,500- 15,000 years ago, but recent genetic studies have shown that it actually could have been much earlier than that”. All these dogs started as wolves and became different breeds as the time passed. People started keeping pets about 16,000 years ago mostly in Europe. It started about 14,000 years ago in Asia. These dogs were meant for hunting, herding, and guarding. Nowadays it is still similar to what it was back then too.

Best behaved dogs and training

Different people have different preferences on what dogs they want to get. 191,988 people have a Labrador retriever. Labradors are the number one dog in the world. People love these dogs because they have a great personality, they are good with kids, they have a high energy level, and are easy to train.

People love these things that dogs do and that's why they choose the Labrador. Lots of people prefer other dogs too. “The top 10 best dogs are the Labrador Retriever, Bulldog, Golden Retriever, Beagle, Pug, Irish Setter, Brussels Griffon, Newfoundland, French Bulldog, and then a Collie”.  These dogs come in all different shapes and sizes but it depends on what you like.

When you're looking for a dog you definitely need to look at how easy they are to train. If you are the person that wants to take time and train your dog yourself a Rottweiler or a Pitbull might be for you. If you want an easy dog to train a Labrador or golden retriever maybe for you. All dogs are great and have good qualities but it's up to you to choose!