When I was younger | Teen Ink

When I was younger

By LemonShake32 SILVER, Bloomington, Indiana
LemonShake32 SILVER, Bloomington, Indiana

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hang on. -Franklin D. Roosevelt

Whenever I was younger, life was different, kids my age went outside and played, we were creative, we'd ride bikes, play army games, be superheroes, go to each others houses. Sure, we hung inside sometimes, but we'd play card games and board games, we played Uno, Monopoly, Sorry, etc. Heck, we even played some Pokémon card games, we never just sat and watched tv. Whenever it snowed on a school day, we'd go outside and play in the snow, if it was raining, we'd still go outside and build a fort to keep us dry, we never once even thought about just staying inside. As the years go by, technology advances, I look outside and the amount of kids playing with each other decreases every day. My siblings and their friends will just sit inside and play games on the Xbox, Nintendo, anything that they can get their hands on, even when the weather is nice. What happened to the good old days where kids could enjoy a snow day? Now they sit inside and do all their work online, not getting to enjoy the things we did when we were younger, they will never experience the things we did as kids because they are so caught up in their games. Now mind you, I never said I didn't like video games or tv, in fact I enjoy it quite a bit, but I will still go outside and ride my bike, go to the creek, hang out with my friends, I don't just sit inside all day and play video games, I do stuff. As more time goes by, and the VR consoles and setups become more accessible, the stuff we did as kids will become more nullified, and will slowly slip away. If only we could go back, and enjoy what we did with the younger kids of our generation.

Again, I'm not against the electronics and video games and all that stuff, just what happened to our creative side in society?