The Wise, Old Giants | Teen Ink

The Wise, Old Giants

By LucasH21 BRONZE, Sussex, Wisconsin
LucasH21 BRONZE, Sussex, Wisconsin

When I see a mountain, I don’t just see rocks, snow, or grass. I see a wise old man – billions of years old, telling us the tales of the Earth. His rough, gray features penetrate the landscape, overpowering even the most glorious of horizons. He has seen it all – the first life, the first human, the invention of the wheel, every war known to mankind…everything. His knowledge is beyond compare. His wisdom knows no bounds. Curiosity is entirely unknown to him.

Before he was a mountain, he was magma, flowing across the Earth with passion and drive. Even before he was magma, he was an asteroid – a floating vessel of knowledge that was sucked into the gravitational pull of the fledgling Earth. He has seen distant empires rise and fall, stars form and implode, galaxies conquered and forgotten. However, after all that excitement, one must settle down, as he now has for years to come. But, no matter the form he may take, he will still carry with him the memories of his past. If you happen to see one of these wise, old giants, just remember, as with anything: there’s more to him than meets the eye.

I was inspired to write this piece because I was fascinated with the age of our planet. I feel that it's not often thought about how old the mountains and formations on the Earth are, so I decided to write a short story detailing the life of our rock formations. I hope that people who read my piece will take a moment to acknowledge the incredible duration of existence that a lot of the natural formations on Earth have had.