How to Care for Older People | Teen Ink

How to Care for Older People

February 13, 2024
By alyssababe12 SILVER, Sussex, Wisconsin
alyssababe12 SILVER, Sussex, Wisconsin
9 articles 0 photos 0 comments

"Walk in someone else's shoes; you never know what challenges they're facing," advises Kara Vogeltanz, a student in Hartland, Wisconsin, and Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA) in a long-term care facility. She emphasizes the importance of having a support system that benefits both oneself and those in one's care. Vogeltanz urges against selfishness and encourages using one's communication strategies. If you're struggling with the best way to care for older individuals, whether you're a family member, caregiver, or healthcare professional, it requires patience, empathy, and a considerate approach to their individual needs. Caring for seniors requires understanding their needs and implementing strategies to help them live a fulfilling and comfortable life. Caregiving is an attempt that requires a high level of collaboration, communication, compassion, and a commitment to improving the overall health and well-being of your loved ones.


Recognize that as people age, their bodies, emotions, and minds undergo changes that demand specialized care. Vogeltanz suggests thinking before speaking, treating elders as if they were family, and striving to be the best version of yourself. Being as pleasant as a dolphin is especially important when it comes to taking care of older people. Vogeltanz, motivated by her interest in healthcare as a potential career, took on the role of a CNA to prepare for her future as a pediatric nurse. Despite being in the role for five months, she enjoys helping people, especially the elderly, hoping and working for a future dedicated to helping children.


Vogeltanz stresses the importance of approaching elderly care with acknowledgment and recommends using various words and methods to connect with them effectively, and efficiently and placate them. She also highlights the challenge of maintaining patience, as some individuals quit due to a lack of it, only to feel remorse and guilt later.


Many individuals, whether professionals or not, genuinely want to provide quality care to older people. Considering the high costs of nursing homes, you might find yourself responsible for caring for your parents as an adult in your own home. Providing care for the elderly requires a complete and whole approach, to addressing their physical, emotional, and social needs. Understanding their requirements and applying certain strategies to help them lead a satisfying and comfortable life. Effective caregiving is an attempt that involves lots of teamwork, requiring communication, empathy, and a dedication to promoting overall health and happiness for the seniors you are caring for.


The author's comments:

I wrote this piece to bring information and awareness to the world about how to care for our older generation.