Living with PTSD (Post Traumatic Syndrome) | Teen Ink

Living with PTSD (Post Traumatic Syndrome)

Living with Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder also known as PTSD, is hard. A 18 year old boy named Leo was diagnosed with PTSD when he was 16. He experienced some traumatic events in his early childhood. Leo didn't let his disorder stop him from doing everyday life things like everyone else. 

Everyday he was looking for answers to cure his disorder. He went to therapy sessions for people who have PTSD and participated in groups to help cope with the symptoms. He found some exercises to cope with his disorder. Some of those exercises were taking deep breaths, taking a walk, putting his hands in water, and moving his body around.

Leo was scrolling on social media and found a group of people who had the same disorder as him. He decided to join the group. Leo had always wanted to meet and become friends with people who knew his struggle. In the group they talked about each other's stories & the way they felt when they found out that they had PTSD. 

One day Leo was at home just watching tv. As he was watching tv he was dozing off but he realized every time he dozed off, he saw a figure. That figure was his assaulter.  Leo was having flashbacks from one of the traumatic events that happened in his life. Leo woke up quickly and checked his windows and checked the locks on the doors constantly. After this took place, he didn't wanna leave his home for days. 

After that traumatic night, Leo didn't have any signs of his disorder for 3 months straight. He thought it was weird that he wasn't having any symptoms for months but he wasn't complaining at all. He thought he was ok at the time because that is the longest he has ever gone without showing any signs of PTSD.

And there it was, it hit him and came back harder than ever. Leo was at the grocery store shopping for groceries when he got an unpleasant smell. It reminded him of something but he couldnt put his finger on it so he just ignored it and continued to shop. After 10 minutes of shopping he kept noticing the smell and he realized where he knew the smell from. It smelt like a strong cologne that his same assaulter wore. Thoughts racing through his mind right along with the emotions taking over him. He started to freak out and left his shopping cart right in the middle of the aisle where he was shopping. His feet started to feel heavy like he was in quicksand and couldn't move. His heart was pounding like a drum. Then he stopped, right in front of the exit. He then calmed down enough to leave the store. Leo left with none of the groceries he intended to get. Instead he left with an unpleasant feeling of frustration and helplessness. He got in his car quickly and got home as fast as he could. Once he arrived home he noticed that he couldn't get out of his car. It was like he was frozen and couldn't move his body. That's when he realized that he needed to get some help. He picked up his cell phone and dialed 911. He informed the police that he has PTSD and is having an episode. After waiting 5 minutes the police, along with the ambulance, and fire department arrived at Leo's destination. Luckily, Leo got a police officer who also suffers from PTSD so she knew exactly what to do to help Leo. A couple days after Leo got help, he decided that it was time for another therapy session. 

Leo went to go see his therapy a couple days after the episode he had at the grocery store. They talked about if he did the exercise they discussed in their last session and he told her he didn't. He wasn't thinking about those exercises at that time and at the given moment. The therapist notified Leo that she understood.

After that, Leo decided to go home and sleep everything off. He was still feeling ashamed and unhelpful. He was embarrassed of his actions. But he realized that this is part of his disorder and he has to accept it. 

After the nap. He contacted some of the friends from the social media group he found. He asked them if they would like to meet up to go grab something to eat. They agreed and decided to go eat at a wing spot. 

At this wing spot they discussed Leo’s situation that happened at the store. He asked them if they had ever had an episode that bad like he did. They told him they have and that they felt the same as he did. The same embarrassment, the same unhelpful feeling, and the same frustration he felt. Leo started to feel more comfortable with them and more comfortable in his own skin. 

A couple months later Leo found out his disorder is treatable. He felt a sense of relief. He started to take medications to help cope with his symptoms and when he has episodes. Leo is starting to get out of the house more and having normal grocery trips. He started doing things he enjoys like playing basketball, fishing, and cooking. 

Leo thinks back on how he was a couple months ago and how much he has grown. He is proud of himself because of how he's been handling different situations that may trigger an episode. He now makes sure he does the breathing exercises when he does feel an episode coming along. He reminds himself that those are just flashbacks and that they are not physically there upon him.

Leo wrote down a list of some of the things he should do. Here is the list of things. Look around and see who is around you, if you see something triggering just remember that it's just flashbacks and breathe. Call someone to distract you or talk to yourself if you don't have anyone to call. Go to therapy weekly when needed.

Leo wants people to know that if you have PTSD, you are not in the struggle alone. He recommends doing those tips that he listed. Accept that you have PTSD and accept the feelings that you have. Take time to relax your mind and body after an episode. Surround yourself with people who are patient with you, listens to you, respectful of your disorder, and trustworthy. And the most important one is to have confidence in yourself.       

I wrote this essay for people who suffer with PTSD. I like to write stories so I figured if I put the two together, it would make it relatable for those with PTSD.