Teachers Help Disruptive Students | Teen Ink

Teachers Help Disruptive Students

By jacobmsandbothe BRONZE, Oregon City, Oregon
jacobmsandbothe BRONZE, Oregon City, Oregon

Have you ever been in class and someone is being disruptive? Have you ever felt like you can”t do anything about that student? I know I have, that's why I am arguing that teachers need a new way of handling those types of students. Some might argue that those students can't be helped or if they don”t want to listen let them. However I believe that that is so unfair to kids and if they just had a little more of a nug in the right direction. Even though some would say our current policy works just fine, teachers need to change the way they handle disruptive students by changing the warnings system, talk to higher ups if warnings don't work, and finally, if those first two don't work, have the student change classes to better the class environment.

We should at tms handle disruptive students by implementing a better warning system for students. The current warning system does not work at all and gets nothing done.  First student teacher talks by having this happen you are letting said student know you know what they are doing and it needs to stop or consequences will get worse. By doing this to you are letting them know you know what they are doing and that you are not paying attention. Second, the teacher should take out the student in the hall during work time to really get one-on-one with the student to try to learn why they are making these decisions and how the said teacher can help the student.  

Another way teachers can change how they handle disruptive students is if talking does not work get a higher up to find a way to solve the problem. I feel that teachers have too much trouble getting higher ups to talk with. I don't know why this is so hard but it is.`For so kids just a talk at school is not enough certain kids just  don't respond to just talking they need action to happen to get the point across.So what i think of when talking to a higher up is have the teacher go and talk with the principle and come up with a solution to the problem. An alternative to this is at and most schools they have counselors. What the teacher can do is have the counselors sit in on the class to watch and get an idea of what they need to do to solve the problem.

A change of class I think should be a last resort choice  for teachers who are experiencing the worst of the disruptive students. In my experience kids who were disruptive who had a class change are now doing much better. Like I said before, students who I know that made a class change are doing better socially and in that new class.What this does if there is a problem it removes them from the area that is causing the disruption. Next what this does is if the student has a problem with the teacher,It removes the student from getting into conflicts with the teacher. Next what it does because the student is now gone it lets the kids who are doing just fine actually learn and grow. Even though some would say our current policy works just fine,Teachers need to change the way they handle disruptive students by changing the warnings system,Talk to higher ups if warnings don't work and finally if those first two don't work have the student change classes to better the class environment.

Well even though some people might argue that a punishment system is good,By implementing a new warning system, talking to a higher up,and changing classes.And if people just listen to these ideas we can find a solution that makes everyone happy.

So if you find yourself in one of these situations use these steps to get the problem solve in the most effective way possible.

Hope this helps teachers get a better idea of how to handle disruptive kids.