Summer Saftey Blanket | Teen Ink

Summer Saftey Blanket

July 15, 2009
By marisaleighxx GOLD, Poughkeepsie, New York
marisaleighxx GOLD, Poughkeepsie, New York
14 articles 4 photos 4 comments

The scent of freshly cut grass was so refreshing at my young age. Mom would always sent up these little play dates with me and Ryan. He was my first crush.
I remember mom would drive me all the way down to his house so me and him could play while she socialized with his mom.
Ryan and i would run around his house and go on adventures. There was the cabin by the lake where we use to have camp fires and chase frogs.
Once and a while when we would get up the nerve, we would go in the chicken pen and try to get the eggs. (As a secrect just between you and I, I was afraid of the chickens, but it gave me a rush when I would go in the pen.)

I would sleep on the car ride home, since i was excited from all the venturing we had done during the days.

When we were home and my nap was finished I would sit on the couch and watch the latest episode of the magic school bus while my mom would get ready to go to work. (she was a hairdresser and went to work evenings.)When she was getting ready to leave she would hug me tight and i could smell her strong Taboo brand perfume. Personally i never liked the smell, and neither did my dad, but it made me think of her whenever I'd smell it.

The night would bring thunderstorms which would make me feel uneasy and scared, I wondered into my parents room for comfort.In the early morning i would be wake up to the dark and the calming sound of old western lullabys and sweet country toons, which is my fathers alarm clock.
My dad would kiss me on the forhead and I dosed back to sleep.
The summer was a repeat of these sweet beautiful days which are now all just a comforting safty blanket of memories.