Just Give it a Chance | Teen Ink

Just Give it a Chance

By itscomplicated PLATINUM, Boxford, Massachusetts
itscomplicated PLATINUM, Boxford, Massachusetts

"The best way out is always through." -Robert Frost "I think, therefore I am." -René Descartes
"Life is never easy for those who dream." -Robert James Waller

What happened to the parents who said you could be anything you want? The ones that encouraged you to try new things and reach for the stars? Sometimes I wish you were like that. Then maybe I wouldn't have such a hard time telling you. Look, Dad, when you mock me out for singing in my room did you ever think about what it does to my self-esteem? I know it's just a joke, but I'm not laughing. And Mom, just because you think something sounds terrible doesn't mean I shouldn't get a chance. You might not understand this, you might never understand it, but I don't just want to go through high school and college wondering if it could have been. You can't hold me back forever, and you can't protect me from the downs of the world for my whole life. You always wonder what I do in my room, so here it is. I act. I pretend I'm living a different life and that I'm someone else. And you know what? I love it. I always have, even when I was little and used to play in my room for hours because I got up too early. Just because you haven't been in a play doesn't mean you haven't or can't act or that you don't love it. There it is. I love acting. And guess what? I want to be an actress. I want to act every day. I want to be in t.v. shows and movies and everything. The worst part is I couldn't tell you because I knew you wouldn't support it. This is the one thing that I want to make a career out of and I couldn't even tell you because I was afraid of what you would say. But now I'm not. I once heard someone say that if you have a dream, go for it or you'll regret it. I want to try to make it. I want to try and audition no matter how hard it is. I can't do it without you. I'm sick of being depressed and feeling like curling up in a ball and crying for a few hours becaus emy parents don't support the one thing I want to make a career out of. Yah, I want to go to college, but I want to try this first. It will be impossible to do this without your support and guidance. I really don't care if you think this is the wierdest and stupidest idea in the world. Remember, just because you wouldn't want this doesn't mean I shouldn't get the chance.

This piece was written as a letter to my parents that I actually gave to them.