Dreaming | Teen Ink

Dreaming

By Kristina_L PLATINUM, Centennial, Colorado
Kristina_L PLATINUM, Centennial, Colorado

"Nah. You didn’t fall to your death. I jumped after you with a parachute." August 24th

Dreams are apart of life that leave one in the grasp of something larger than themselves. It is a simple matter that a dream is the guiding light but within this is the fact that all people are able to relinquish their regrets, pain and desires into a single thought that will allow them to become what they wish to be. These dreams allow for all races to unite under a single identity; that they are all apart of the cosmos of people who want something out of life. It doesn’t matter if it is simply living to see the next sunrise or becoming someone of importance. We believe futilely that our dreams will come true. It is those blinded by hope that are bound together, ignorant of their isolation, prejudice, or thoughts. Life’s survival is dependent on the survival of the universal hope that all dreams are worth believing in. Without such realistic or idealistic dreams, the world stops spinning and falls lifelessly to the blackness of space.

Living amongst scholars, pilgrims, surfs, army men and women, drunkards, housewives and husbands, suburbians, the homeless, the corrupt and the innocent doesn’t change what dreams can do. There is no lack of the feeling of dreaming. Dreams of better lives, better women, better knowledge, better work, better tomorrows. It is the only way we as living creatures interact and destroy. Through our dreams. But this is the world. Constant birth and annihilation. Deceiving and believing. It’s painful and repulsive but comforting and beautiful. This is the life that dreams initiates. The only way life should truly be.

I wrote this piece while we were staying in Bellingham, Washington this summer.