Eternal Night : Chapter 2 | Teen Ink

Eternal Night : Chapter 2

March 27, 2010
By SerraAngel GOLD, Buchanan, Michigan
SerraAngel GOLD, Buchanan, Michigan
12 articles 0 photos 28 comments

Favorite Quote:
"we have nothing to fear but fear itself".


Chapter 2




Cameron

I skated across the ice, stumbling. The lake was still frozen, and the sun was coming out. I looked at Alison who skated gracefully across the ice. I think she took lessons. Then I looked over at Rebecca and Blake who were holding hands, skating and talking. Until Rebecca fell and accidentally pulled Blake down with her, they sat on the ice laughing. Then I went on skating, 'Hey I think I'm getting the hang of this.' I thought to myself before I fell head first into a pile of snow. When I stood up I had snow all over my light-blonde hair. I brushed it off and went on skating.
Then Rebecca skated over to me "Blake just asked me to the fall dance!" she squealed. "Hold on, I have to tell him something." "Ok, I have to get home now and do some homework, I'll catch up with you later." Katlyne said before skating away. 'It's getting hot.' I thought. So I skated over to the side of the lake, and set my jacket down.
"Hey Elle, It's getting hot I'm going to go home." Alison said. "Why don't you stop by later?" "Ok, maybe." I answered. 'At least Rebecca and Blake are still here' I thought. I started skating toward the middle of the lake. Then the ice started cracking.
I suddenly fell into the freezing water. I tried to open my eyes but the water stung them. I lifted my arms up, feeling for the ice, but it broke off into my hand. Then something grabbed my arm and pulled me up. "Am I dead yet?” I asked myself gasping for air. I heard someone laugh "No, not yet. But if you skate like that again you might be." I opened my eyes and laughed too. It was more of a nervous laugh though. Because in front of me was a boy around my age, maybe older, with pale skin dark blonde hair, and emerald-green eyes. "Are you ok?" he asked. "Yeah, but I'm cold." Then he helped me up. "Aren't you?" I asked. "No, not really." He replied.

"I'm Elle Manson." I introduced. "I'm Cameron Daniels. Do you need a ride home? I'm going to pick someone up." he asked. "No, I can walk." I answered. “Ok.” Cameron said. Then Rebecca and Blake skated toward us. "Are you ok?" she asked. "Yeah, I'm fine." I replied. "Here's your jacket." she handed me my snow covered jacket. I tried to wipe off the snow but my navy-blue jacket was still covered with it. "Thanks."
"Hey mom, I'm home." I called, walking into our kitchen. "Did you have fun?" she asked. "Yeah, what are you doing?” I asked. "I'm cooking dinner." she replied. "Ok, I’m going to my room to study." I told her. "Ok, but don't work too hard. Get ready for school." she said. I started up the staircase as it creaked below me. I went in my room and closed the door. My room looked almost empty, even though I have a round, white rug in the middle of it, a black desk, my bed covered with blue blankets, and a window that takes up most of the wall. I closed the white curtains; even with them shut light still poured through. I walked over to my closet, and looked for my dress. For the fall dance everyone dresses up. I found my dress; it's a teal, strapless, dress that was about tea-length, with a sequined top, and three tiers.
I went to the desk, and looked through the drawers. I pulled out the year book one of my friends gave me. I blow off the dust covered pages, and flip through to the 'D' section of last names. And I find three people with the last name Daniels. There was Cameron, Lily, and Dominic Daniels. In Cameron's picture he had the same messy dark blonde hair, and green eyes. Lily must have been Cameron’s sister. She had curly, medium-blonde hair, and brown eyes. Dominic had dark brown hair and bright blue eyes.
I slammed my locker door closed. 'I really need to get that thing fixed.' I thought. I turned to walk to my next class and saw Cameron. "Hey Elle.” he started walking toward me. “Hi." I said. We started walking together to math class. I heard some laughing and looked over and saw a small group of girls giggling and staring. Then I realized they were looking at him. We kept on talking and walking. "Are you going to the dance with anyone?" When he asked the question my heart started racing. "No." I answered trying to sound casual. "Will you go with me then?" he asked. "Sure." I said.
Later when we were walking we heard the tardy bell as soon as I walked through the door. “Thank you for finally joining us Ms. Manson and Mr. Daniels.” said my teacher, Mr.I felt my cheeks get hot as I looked down and walk to my desk. “Now back to attendance, Alison White.” Alison raised her hand and said “here.” “Ok, that’s everyone.”
“Wasn’t Math so easy?” Allison said as she headed for the bathroom. I faked a laugh but she didn‘t notice. “Yeah it was great.” I said sarcastically, and rolled my eyes. Lately I haven’t been doing so well in Math. We stood looking in the bathroom mirror. I was fixing my hair, while Allison applied her lip gloss. We looked so different compared to each other. She has brown eyes, and I have blue eyes. I have blonde hair, and she has brown hair. My pale skin looked almost white, compared to her tan.
“Hey Tory.” I called and Katlyne and Victoria looked up. “What are you guys doing?” “Oh, we were just talking about something we just heard.” Katlyne said. “Really, and what was that?” I asked. They paused for a moment. “Yes, why don’t you tell her Katlyne?” Victoria looked at her smiling. Katlyne smiled back, “Of course, well Moranda and Madison came over to us so we told them that you and Cameron would make a great couple. And so then Madison said ‘I doubt it, because Valerie asked him and he said he’s taken.’” Katlyne mimicked in the greatest Madison voice ever, “then she looked at Moranda and said ‘Can you believe that?’ So then Moranda said ‘You weren’t supposed to tell them that! You were supposed to lie.’ And they walked away.” “Wow.” was all I could say “Yeah, I know Madison is a genuine blonde.” Victoria laughed. “I just can’t believe Valerie was turned down because of me.” I said.
“No way!” Alison yelled into the phone. “I know.” I said back. “I never knew Valerie like Cameron.” I sat back for a moment, thinking. “Do you think she’ll hold it against me during cheerleading tryouts?” I asked, suddenly worried. There was along pause I could tell she was thinking about it. Then she answered still unsure “Who knows. It is Valerie we are talking about, she could do anything.”
“Now who wants to try a herkie?” Valerie asked smiling. Hands immediately shot up. But Valerie looked at me and said “Elle, why don’t you try to show everyone?” “Sure why not.” I answered, knowing this is what she was going to do to get even. She was going to make this hard for me. I stood up, then did a perfect herkie and sat back down. “How about splits?” she asked still smiling. “I’d rather not.” I answered. I didn’t know how to go down all the way. “I will.” I turned and saw a girl with dark blonde hair, and brown eyes, raising her hand.