What is the difference between a fruit and a vegetable? | Teen Ink

What is the difference between a fruit and a vegetable?

December 13, 2010
By horselove146 GOLD, Scituate, Massachusetts
horselove146 GOLD, Scituate, Massachusetts
12 articles 0 photos 2 comments

What is the difference between a fruit and a vegetable? Have you ever wondered, what is the main difference? Well many fruits are oftentimes misunderstood as fruits. A main difference is fruits are developed from a plant with flowers, but vegetable plants usually do not have flowers. Fruits are the plants ripened ovaries, or female reproductive parts, of a plant. Fruits have seeds in them which are ovules. Vegetables are the plants roots. Fruits are usually sweeter than vegetables, because they have more fructose than vegetables have. Both fruits and vegetables are healthy for you. Some people ask why are fruits good for you when they have so much sugar? Well the sugar found in fruits is natural, and much better than the white sugar we use on foods we make. Eating fruits is part of a balanced diet, because they have many vitamins they you need. Vegetables are full of vitamins, fibers, and minerals, so they are very important to you. Vegetables do not have as much fructose as fruits have, and fruits do not have the good source of iron that vegetables have. Personally I enjoy fruits more than I enjoy vegetables, but everyone is different.